Duterte has given the green light for Mary Jane's execution: Jokowi
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo said on Monday that Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte had given the green light for the execution of Filipina death row inmate Mary Jane Veloso.
"President Duterte has given the go-ahead to proceed with the execution,” Jokowi was quoted as saying by Antara news agency in Serang, Banten.
(Read also: PH denies Duterte gave go-ahead for Veloso execution)
According to Jokowi, the legal process will be followed up by Attorney General M. Prasetyo.
“I have explained to [Duterte] about Mary Jane’s situation and I told him that Mary Jane [has been found guilty] for carrying 2.6 kilograms of heroin. I also told him about the delay in the execution during the meeting,” Jokowi said.
Veloso was arrested at Adisucipto Airport in Yogyakarta in April 2010.
Veloso was excluded from the list of the third round of executions prepared by the Attorney General’s Office (AGO) in April, as legal procedures continue in a separate but related case in her country. Veloso was on the execution list last year but was granted a stay of execution because her alleged boss had been arrested in the Philippines, and the authorities there requested Indonesian assistance in pursuing the case. (dmr)
You might also like :
- Japan to offer e-visa to tourists starting April 2020
- Seoul Fashion Week ready for kickoff
- Movie star Chow Yun-fat to give entire fortune to charity
- Lippo Group executive arrested in Meikarta bribery case
- Washington diocese names 31 former clergy accused of abuse
- Indonesia warns against Australia’s possible embassy move to Jerusalem
- IMF chief postpones Middle East trip with Saudi stop
- Man arrested for buying baby via Instagram
- NTT to move immigrants to island near Australia
- For the sake of integrity