12 heroes will be on new banknotes and coins
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has decided the portraits of 12 national heroes will feature on a new series of banknotes and coins that will be issued later this year.
On the new banknotes, the phrase of "Negara Kesatuan Republik Indonesia" (The Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia) will replace a phrase “Bank Indonesia”.
The Cabinet secretariat in its official statement on Wednesday said the decision was a tribute to the contribution of national heroes to the country. It was based on Presidential Decree No 31/2016 issued on Sept. 5.
According to the decree, the use of the images and the names of the heroes received approval from their descendants.
The image of founding fathers Soekarno and Mohammad Hatta will remain on the Rp 100,000 banknote, while former Prime Minister Juanda Kartawidjaja's portrait will be on the Rp 50,000 banknote replacing I Gusti Ngurah Rai.
The portrait of Oto Iskandar Di Nata on the Rp 20,000 banknote will be replaced by a portrait of Gerungan Saul Samuel Jacob Ratulangi, an independence activist and first governor of Sulawesi.
National hero Frans Kaisiepo's portrait will replace Sultan Mahmud Badaruddin II as the main image on the Rp 10,000 banknote. National hero from Aceh Tuanku Imam Bonjol's image on the Rp 5,000 banknote will be replaced by KH Idham's portrait.
MH Thamrin and Tjut Meutiah's portraits will feature on the Rp 2,000 and Rp 1,000, banknotes, replacing Antasari and Pattimura, respectively.
Meanwhile, portraits of Tahi Bonar Simatupang, Cipto Mangunkusumo and Herman John will be featured on the Rp 500, Rp 200 and Rp 100 coins, respectively. (bbn)
Editorial note: Paragraph seven of this article has been corrected.
You might also like :
- Ahok mania spreads far beyond Jakarta
- And now, Indosat website hacked
- Jokowi, Suu Kyi discuss Rohingya crisis
- Rohingya crisis could affect ASEAN stability: Jokowi
- Jokowi campaigns for peace, stability on Korean Peninsula
- Myanmar complies with int’l recommendations on Rohingya crisis: Suu Kyi
- Campaign highlights importance of fish consumption
- Wonderful Indonesia to participate in Malaysia International Dive Expo 2017
- Thousands of workers to join May Day rally in Jakarta
- West Sulawesi struggles to improve education, health