I used my prerogative right, Megawati says
Callistasia Anggun Wijaya
The Jakarta Post
Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) chairwoman Megawati Soekarnoputri said she had used her prerogative as a chairwoman to select Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama and Djarot Saiful Hidayat as candidates for the Jakarta gubernatorial election.
"This time, I used my prerogative right as chairwoman without prior discussion with the party's members," Megawati said at PDI-P central executive board's headquarters on Wednesday.
“I instructed all of the party's structures, including those in the executive and legislative institutions, to endorse Ahok and Djarot as candidates who will compete in the election,” she said, adding that the decision was based particularly on Ahok’s spirit of nationalism.
"This man has nationalistic spirit. PDI-P's ideology is Pancasila so there are no differences between us [PDI-P and Ahok]," Megawati said, adding that the party upholds pluralism in deciding the candidates.
Megawati said PDI-P does not consider racial sentiments when appointing candidates.
On Wednesday, Megawati assisted Ahok and Djarot to register for the election at the Jakarta General Elections Commission office. Some party officials and representatives from Golkar, Hanura and Nasdem also assisted the pair. (bbn)
You might also like :
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- Govt looks to private employees to fill public jobs after 90 percent of applican...
- 'Moral panic' targets Indonesia's LGBT community
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- From Chanel to Gucci: Korean women turn into designer rent-a-holics
- Okky Madasari unearths hidden tales of Indonesia in 'Mata' series
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world