Jokowi launches new fuel pricing policy for Papua, West Papua
Nethy Dharma Somba
The Jakarta Post
After bearing the burden of high fuel prices for decades, people living in Papua and West Papua can now buy fuel at affordable prices.
On the second day of his working visit to Indonesia’s easternmost region on Tuesday, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo announced the One Fuel Price policy. The policy aims to make the price of fuel in Papua and West Papua the same as prices in other areas across Indonesia.
Under the new policy, premium sells at Rp 6,450 (49 US cents) per liter while diesel and kerosene are priced at Rp 5,150 and Rp 2,500 per liter, respectively.
“Residents can now buy premium at Rp 6,450 per liter while diesel is sold at Rp 5,150, far lower than the previous rates, which ranged between Rp 50,000 to Rp 100,000 per liter,” Jokowi said during the launch of the One Fuel Price policy for Papua and West Papua in Dekai, Yahukimo, Papua, on Tuesday.
The President hopes the policy will directly impact people’s prosperity.
“The prices should not be more than Rp 10,000 per liter. I will continue to monitor this. We should not let just one or two people enjoy the fuel prices enjoyed by other parts of the country, while others have to buy fuel at a higher price,” said Jokowi.
With the One Fuel Price policy, the President said state-run oil and gas firm Pertamina must allocate Rp 800 billion in subsidies every year.
“The most important thing is not about the money, but about social justice for all Indonesians,” he said. (ebf)
You might also like :
- Tito suspects JAD terror group behind N. Sumatra police post attacks
- Political, polygamy messages take center stage in some Idul Fitri speeches
- World Bank lauds Indonesia’s fiscal framework
- Sri Mulyani marks Idul Fitri with slip of tongue
- GNPF-MUI seeks to ease tension with President during Idul Fitri meet
- In Malang, church allows Muslims to use lawn for Idul Fitri prayers
- Jakarta Cathedral cancels three morning masses for Idul Fitri prayer
- MPR speaker entertains guests with political jokes, conversation
- Indonesia condemns Mecca suicide bomb attempt
- Locals thrilled to share Idul Fitri with Jokowi's mother