Scores of lawyers ready to defend Ahok in blasphemy case
Callistasia Anggun Wijaya
The Jakarta Post
Almost 100 lawyers have offered to defend Jakarta Governor Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama if he is taken to court for blasphemy.
"Almost 100 lawyers [will back Ahok in this case]. They come from various organizations. I will be the leader of the legal team," Ahok's lawyer, Sirra Prayuna, said on Monday at the National Police’s Criminal Investigation Department (Bareskrim) office.
Sirra said four political parties that were backing Ahok in the Feb. 15, 2017 election --- the Golkar Party, the Hanura Party, the NasDem Party and Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) – would also provide lawyers for Ahok.
"They [the lawyers] want to participate in this case. I can't forbid them. It is their initiative to support Ahok," Sirra said, adding that Ahok had not requested a team of lawyers.
Sirra said his team was also supported by members of the Ahok-Djarot Saiful Hidayat campaign team.
Ahok was reported by a number of Islamic organizations for a speech in which he mentioned Surah al-Maidah, Verse 51 of the Quran while visiting the Thousand Islands regency in late September. (bbn)
You might also like :
- Obama arrives in Bali
- Media mogul declared intimidation suspect
- Indonesia's Jangkrik field’s first LNG cargo delivered
- Australia sends spy planes to south Philippines
- Former US president Obama to arrive on Bali this afternoon
- Australian citizen denied entry to Bali due to criminal record
- Property developer sees potential to build office buildings for startups in Bali
- Indonesia's upstream projects proposed for strategic project list
- No extravagant ceremony to welcome Obama: Official
- Online drivers choose to stay in Jakarta to earn more cash