Scores of lawyers ready to defend Ahok in blasphemy case
Callistasia Anggun Wijaya
The Jakarta Post
Almost 100 lawyers have offered to defend Jakarta Governor Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama if he is taken to court for blasphemy.
"Almost 100 lawyers [will back Ahok in this case]. They come from various organizations. I will be the leader of the legal team," Ahok's lawyer, Sirra Prayuna, said on Monday at the National Police’s Criminal Investigation Department (Bareskrim) office.
Sirra said four political parties that were backing Ahok in the Feb. 15, 2017 election --- the Golkar Party, the Hanura Party, the NasDem Party and Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) – would also provide lawyers for Ahok.
"They [the lawyers] want to participate in this case. I can't forbid them. It is their initiative to support Ahok," Sirra said, adding that Ahok had not requested a team of lawyers.
Sirra said his team was also supported by members of the Ahok-Djarot Saiful Hidayat campaign team.
Ahok was reported by a number of Islamic organizations for a speech in which he mentioned Surah al-Maidah, Verse 51 of the Quran while visiting the Thousand Islands regency in late September. (bbn)
You might also like :
- Not thieves, but wife, cleared funds out of customer account, says BRI
- Philippines tells UN it will quit ICC
- Indonesia wants Australia as full ASEAN member
- Will internet access in Bali be turned off at Nyepi?
- Lion Air, BRI promise affordable tickets to ‘New Balis’
- Stan Lee cancels appearance at ComicCon Asia 2018
- Katy Perry to bring 50 tons of cargo to Jakarta
- Japan's isolated older 'hikikomori' shun society for years
- Indonesia, Australia to revisit maritime border agreement
- Five arrested in ATM skimming case