Scores of lawyers ready to defend Ahok in blasphemy case
Callistasia Anggun Wijaya
The Jakarta Post
Almost 100 lawyers have offered to defend Jakarta Governor Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama if he is taken to court for blasphemy.
"Almost 100 lawyers [will back Ahok in this case]. They come from various organizations. I will be the leader of the legal team," Ahok's lawyer, Sirra Prayuna, said on Monday at the National Police’s Criminal Investigation Department (Bareskrim) office.
Sirra said four political parties that were backing Ahok in the Feb. 15, 2017 election --- the Golkar Party, the Hanura Party, the NasDem Party and Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) – would also provide lawyers for Ahok.
"They [the lawyers] want to participate in this case. I can't forbid them. It is their initiative to support Ahok," Sirra said, adding that Ahok had not requested a team of lawyers.
Sirra said his team was also supported by members of the Ahok-Djarot Saiful Hidayat campaign team.
Ahok was reported by a number of Islamic organizations for a speech in which he mentioned Surah al-Maidah, Verse 51 of the Quran while visiting the Thousand Islands regency in late September. (bbn)
You might also like :
- Streep ‘terrified’ to work with Hanks, Spielberg for the first time
- Heavy air pollution shuts schools in Iran
- Suspicious deaths of billionaire Canada couple investigated
- Minister, Anies join thousands in rally to support Palestine
- Year-end events to attend in Bali
- Frenchman breaks new record for sailing solo around the world
- Banyumas hospital severely damaged after quake
- Trump team claims Mueller 'unlawfully' collected emails
- BPS to start collecting e-commerce data in January
- Assange told not to interfere in Catalonia: Ecuador president