Muhammadiyah welcomes decision to name Ahok a suspect
The Jakarta Post
The Muhammadiyah central board in Yogyakarta welcomed the National Police’s decision to name Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama a suspect in a blasphemy case.
“Muhammadiyah believes the decision to name Basuki Tjahaja Purnama suspect is based on fair and objective legal principles. This is proof that Indonesia is a law-respecting country,” Muhammadiyah chairman Haedar Nashir said Wednesday.
He urged the public to remain calm and respect diversity, as well as maintain order and peace as the legal process continued. He said Muslims must accept the result of the legal process.
“Don’t let our nation break apart because of this. We have lost precious energy and time that could have otherwise been used to do something productive,” Haedar said.
Haedar said Muhammadiyah appreciated President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo, who supports the legal process. He said Muhammadiyah supported Jokowi and his administration.
“We also appreciate the National Police for their firm, fast, transparent and fair work,” he said.
Muhammadiyah deputy chairman M. Busyro Muqoddas called for the public to monitor the legal process to ensure transparency. (evi)
You might also like :
- Me and my (porn) shadow: 'Spycam' epidemic seizes South Korea
- Moon, Kim get peace award from Indonesian community
- Four earthquakes strike off Canada's west coast
- Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja stuns 'American Idol' judges
- US mulls revoking recognition of transgender people: Report
- Meikarta project abides by spatial regulation: Minister
- Trump accuses Saudis of 'lies' over Khashoggi killing
- Partygoers burn police vehicles after being denied dancing
- Home of Malaysian cricket under closure threat
- Only 2% of ads show women as leaders: Study