House plenary meeting to seal return of Setya Novanto as speaker
Margareth S. Aritonang
The Jakarta Post
The House of Representatives will hold a plenary meeting today to seal the return of Golkar Party chairman Setya Novanto as House speaker, replacing fellow party member Ade Komarudin.
The decision to put Setya’s return before all 560 legislators for final approval was made late on Tuesday evening after hours of discussions in a closed-door meeting between deputy House chairmen and the leaders of the 10 factions at the House.
“We have agreed on the dismissal [of Ade Komarudin] as well as on the mechanism to select the successor,” House Deputy Speaker Fadli Zon told the press after the meeting. “We will announce Setya Novanto as the new speaker in the [plenary] session tomorrow”.
Although several lawmakers may voice objections to Setya’s comeback due to his alleged involvement in a an illicit request for shares of mining company PT Freeport Indonesia, which forced him to resign as speaker in December last year, those objections will likely have little impact on the agreement achieved by political elites in the legislative institution following days of intense lobbying after Golkar declared Setya’s return earlier this week.
Meanwhile, current House Speaker Ade has announced his resignation, saying he would obey Golkar’s decision to replace him with Setya.
Ade was not seen attending the Tuesday leadership consultation meeting to discuss his replacement. (dmr)
You might also like :
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- India launches 'Modicare', world's biggest health scheme
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- One year on, far right has transformed German politics
- Insight: New development pathway for Indonesia
- China's bullet trains are coming for Hong Kong's airlines
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- Attempt to send underage prostitutes to Bali ends at airport: Police
- Brotherhood chief, 65 others get life for Egypt attack