House plenary meeting to seal return of Setya Novanto as speaker
Margareth S. Aritonang
The Jakarta Post
The House of Representatives will hold a plenary meeting today to seal the return of Golkar Party chairman Setya Novanto as House speaker, replacing fellow party member Ade Komarudin.
The decision to put Setya’s return before all 560 legislators for final approval was made late on Tuesday evening after hours of discussions in a closed-door meeting between deputy House chairmen and the leaders of the 10 factions at the House.
“We have agreed on the dismissal [of Ade Komarudin] as well as on the mechanism to select the successor,” House Deputy Speaker Fadli Zon told the press after the meeting. “We will announce Setya Novanto as the new speaker in the [plenary] session tomorrow”.
Although several lawmakers may voice objections to Setya’s comeback due to his alleged involvement in a an illicit request for shares of mining company PT Freeport Indonesia, which forced him to resign as speaker in December last year, those objections will likely have little impact on the agreement achieved by political elites in the legislative institution following days of intense lobbying after Golkar declared Setya’s return earlier this week.
Meanwhile, current House Speaker Ade has announced his resignation, saying he would obey Golkar’s decision to replace him with Setya.
Ade was not seen attending the Tuesday leadership consultation meeting to discuss his replacement. (dmr)
You might also like :
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements
- Lion Air: a deadly crash and a whole lot of questions for Boeing
- Prabowo plans Singapore-like taxes for Indonesia
- Merpati escapes bankruptcy, but no guarantee it will fly again
- Trump fires senior advisor at start of expected White House reshuffle
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- 21 companies to relocate factories from Karawang over high wages
- ASEAN’s priority: China