House plenary meeting to seal return of Setya Novanto as speaker
Margareth S. Aritonang
The Jakarta Post
The House of Representatives will hold a plenary meeting today to seal the return of Golkar Party chairman Setya Novanto as House speaker, replacing fellow party member Ade Komarudin.
The decision to put Setya’s return before all 560 legislators for final approval was made late on Tuesday evening after hours of discussions in a closed-door meeting between deputy House chairmen and the leaders of the 10 factions at the House.
“We have agreed on the dismissal [of Ade Komarudin] as well as on the mechanism to select the successor,” House Deputy Speaker Fadli Zon told the press after the meeting. “We will announce Setya Novanto as the new speaker in the [plenary] session tomorrow”.
Although several lawmakers may voice objections to Setya’s comeback due to his alleged involvement in a an illicit request for shares of mining company PT Freeport Indonesia, which forced him to resign as speaker in December last year, those objections will likely have little impact on the agreement achieved by political elites in the legislative institution following days of intense lobbying after Golkar declared Setya’s return earlier this week.
Meanwhile, current House Speaker Ade has announced his resignation, saying he would obey Golkar’s decision to replace him with Setya.
Ade was not seen attending the Tuesday leadership consultation meeting to discuss his replacement. (dmr)
You might also like :
- Trump targeted by G-20 as leaders push back on combative tweets
- Some countries buying Russian gear deserve sanctions waivers: Mattis
- Supreme Court to decide on UK-Scotland Brexit standoff
- Thousands protest Australia's refugee detention policy
- One dead, suspect surrenders after US supermarket hostage drama
- Four kids, riding motorbike without helmets, taught valuable lesson by cop
- Indonesia soccer fans damage Asian Games stadium
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games
- Student allegedly paralyzed after being told to do 120 jump squats as punishment
- French drug smuggler to arrive home after 18 years in Indonesian custody