Mass prayer becomes ‘cooler’ with Jokowi’s presence: MPR
The Jakarta Post
People’s Consultative Assembly (MPR) speaker Zulkifli Hasan said the presence of President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo resulted in a mass prayer held by Islamic organizations at the National Monument (Monas) in Central Jakarta on Friday becoming cooler.
Accompanied by Vice President Jusuf Kalla, Religious Minister Lukman Hakim Saifuddin and Coordinating Political, Legal and Security Affairs Minister Wiranto, Jokowi performed Friday prayers together with others.
“I believe this has made all of us happy and led this Super Damai [Super Peaceful] 212 rally to become more peaceful. It has become cooler,” Zulkifli said as quoted by kompas.com on Friday. He referred to the third of a series of rallies aimed at pushing for the incarceration of Jakarta Governor Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama over alleged blasphemy.
Zulkifli also praised the Dec. 2 mass prayer for having been run in an orderly fashion. “I appreciate the Super Damai 212 rally. I have monitored it on the television since this morning and I saw our brothers and sisters who attended the rally in Monas from various areas across Indonesia had worked with security personnel to create a peaceful situation,” said Zulkifli.
Jokowi also conveyed similar appreciations. “Thank you for all prayers and dzikir [mass chants] that have been raised to God for the sake of our country. Allahu akbar! [God is great!] Allahu akbar! Allahu akbar!” he repeated.
“I want to express my deep gratitude to all congregation members who have participated orderly so that this event can run well." Some 500,000 people attended the mass prayer. (ebf)
You might also like :
- Jokowi’s surprise for Korea
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Palm oil waste-fueled generators produce electricity in Kutai
- Semen Indonesia acquires Holcim Indonesia
- Merpati escapes bankruptcy, but no guarantee it will fly again
- Bank Indonesia hikes rate to 6 percent
- Next US House foreign affairs chief vows to check Trump, warns Russia
- Prabowo plans Singapore-like taxes for Indonesia
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Lion Air passengers change planes because of broken AC