Graft suspect La Nyalla walks free as court declares him not guilty
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Corruption Court ordered the release of the Indonesian Chamber of Commerce and Industry’s (Kadin) East Java chairman, La Nyalla Mahmud Mattalitti, after declaring him not guilty of corruption during a hearing on Tuesday.
“[The court] declares La Nyalla not proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt of corruption as stated in prosecutors’ primary and subsidiary indictments,” said presiding judge Sumpeno when reading out the court’s ruling.
“[...] also orders the release of the defendant from confinement and his rights restored,” he further said.
Prosecutors charged La Nyalla guilty of corruption by illegally enriching himself with Rp 1.1 billion (US$82,229). He was accused of committing the crime by misusing his authority as the head of the East Java branch of Kadin.
The former Soccer Association of Indonesia (PSSI) chairman was said to have sold Bank Jatim shares, which he was accused of buying using Rp 5.3 billion granted by the East Java administration to Kadin between 2011 and 2014, at a higher price.
Prosecutors also demanded that La Nyalla be fined Rp 500 million or face an additional six months in prison and be ordered to pay Rp 1.1 billion to cover state losses.
The court rejected the prosecutors’ demand and instead ordered the release of the defendant. (fac/ebf)
You might also like :
- Thousands sign petition against sentence for Malaysian who abused maid
- Bottled water meets quality standards: BPOM
- Saudi Arabia beheads Indonesian worker despite Jokowi’s pleas for clemency
- Four-meter snake found in West Jakarta restaurant
- US, Japan assist South Korea on historic summits with North Korea
- Anies issues regulation simplifying process of shutting down entertainment spots
- No condoms or cigarettes sold at Muslim convenience store in Depok
- Residents clash with police personnel in land execution in C. Sulawesi
- Singapore Airlines warns customers against air tickets scam
- Earthquake strikes Banten, tremors felt in Jakarta