Graft suspect La Nyalla walks free as court declares him not guilty
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Corruption Court ordered the release of the Indonesian Chamber of Commerce and Industry’s (Kadin) East Java chairman, La Nyalla Mahmud Mattalitti, after declaring him not guilty of corruption during a hearing on Tuesday.
“[The court] declares La Nyalla not proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt of corruption as stated in prosecutors’ primary and subsidiary indictments,” said presiding judge Sumpeno when reading out the court’s ruling.
“[...] also orders the release of the defendant from confinement and his rights restored,” he further said.
Prosecutors charged La Nyalla guilty of corruption by illegally enriching himself with Rp 1.1 billion (US$82,229). He was accused of committing the crime by misusing his authority as the head of the East Java branch of Kadin.
The former Soccer Association of Indonesia (PSSI) chairman was said to have sold Bank Jatim shares, which he was accused of buying using Rp 5.3 billion granted by the East Java administration to Kadin between 2011 and 2014, at a higher price.
Prosecutors also demanded that La Nyalla be fined Rp 500 million or face an additional six months in prison and be ordered to pay Rp 1.1 billion to cover state losses.
The court rejected the prosecutors’ demand and instead ordered the release of the defendant. (fac/ebf)
You might also like :
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- UK visa requirements relaxed for Indonesian students
- Malaysia's Najib explains why he had so many luxury handbags, lots of cash, jewe...
- We deserve more choices
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Number missing in Indonesia ferry disaster jumps again to 192: official
- Handgun found in bin at Soekarno-Hatta airport
- US centers force migrant children to take drugs -lawsuit
- Traveler forgets father at rest stop upon return from Lebaran holiday