FPI leader Rizieq Shihab to testify in Ahok’s hearing
The Jakarta Post
Firebrand preacher and leader of the Islam Defenders Front (FPI) Rizieq Shihab is scheduled to give testimony in an upcoming hearing of Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama’s blasphemy trial, a defense lawyer has said.
Rizieq will be presented by the prosecutors as a religious expert, one of Ahok’s lawyers, Humphrey Djemat, told Kompas.com on Wednesday, saying that he had obtained the information from his client’s case dossier.
“Rizieq was listed in the dossier [to testify] as a religious expert recommended by the MUI [Indonesian Ulema Council],” Humphrey said, adding that Rizieq will testify after all the prosecution witnesses who reported Ahok give their testimonies.
(Read also: Ahok's lawyers hope judges dismiss witness statement)
As of the most recent hearing on Tuesday, the prosecutors have presented eight witnesses from dozens of individuals planned to be brought to the North Jakarta District Court. “There will be language experts, as well as criminal law and religious experts,” Humphrey said. (Saf/jun)
You might also like :
- Palm oil producers revise up palm oil production, stock data
- Regulation on EURO IV adoption signed
- Paris clashes over police killing of Chinese man injured three
- Government faces rampant lawsuits for revocation of mining permits
- Garment exports projected to stagnate this year
- Chinese investor interested in Vale Indonesia’s Bahodopi smelter project
- Jakarta saves 157 MW during Earth Hour 2017
- Vale Indonesia to spend US$90 million for smelter rejuvenation, expansion
- Railway station tunnels to be completed in April
- House to hold confirmation hearings for new KPU, Bawaslu commissioners