FPI leader Rizieq Shihab to testify in Ahok’s hearing
The Jakarta Post
Firebrand preacher and leader of the Islam Defenders Front (FPI) Rizieq Shihab is scheduled to give testimony in an upcoming hearing of Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama’s blasphemy trial, a defense lawyer has said.
Rizieq will be presented by the prosecutors as a religious expert, one of Ahok’s lawyers, Humphrey Djemat, told Kompas.com on Wednesday, saying that he had obtained the information from his client’s case dossier.
“Rizieq was listed in the dossier [to testify] as a religious expert recommended by the MUI [Indonesian Ulema Council],” Humphrey said, adding that Rizieq will testify after all the prosecution witnesses who reported Ahok give their testimonies.
(Read also: Ahok's lawyers hope judges dismiss witness statement)
As of the most recent hearing on Tuesday, the prosecutors have presented eight witnesses from dozens of individuals planned to be brought to the North Jakarta District Court. “There will be language experts, as well as criminal law and religious experts,” Humphrey said. (Saf/jun)
You might also like :
- Indonesia's digital policy lacking focus
- Number of rejected Schengen visa applications for Indonesia increases
- Philippines closes Boracay to tourists under high security
- Human rights at risk for ASEAN citizens
- Anger as Fiji tourism ad swaps 'church' for 'toilet'
- ‘Stranger Things’ coming to Universal Studios Singapore
- Nod for 'Jack Ryan' season 2
- Headscarved students banned from performing 'gambyong' dance
- Electric cars made by Indonesian students featured at Jakarta motor show
- May Day march to concentrate on Monas area