FPI leader Rizieq Shihab to testify in Ahok’s hearing
The Jakarta Post
Firebrand preacher and leader of the Islam Defenders Front (FPI) Rizieq Shihab is scheduled to give testimony in an upcoming hearing of Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama’s blasphemy trial, a defense lawyer has said.
Rizieq will be presented by the prosecutors as a religious expert, one of Ahok’s lawyers, Humphrey Djemat, told Kompas.com on Wednesday, saying that he had obtained the information from his client’s case dossier.
“Rizieq was listed in the dossier [to testify] as a religious expert recommended by the MUI [Indonesian Ulema Council],” Humphrey said, adding that Rizieq will testify after all the prosecution witnesses who reported Ahok give their testimonies.
(Read also: Ahok's lawyers hope judges dismiss witness statement)
As of the most recent hearing on Tuesday, the prosecutors have presented eight witnesses from dozens of individuals planned to be brought to the North Jakarta District Court. “There will be language experts, as well as criminal law and religious experts,” Humphrey said. (Saf/jun)
You might also like :
- Girls’ Generation’s Taeyeon shared message over airport incident
- Tatjana's photo with Korean heartthrob Gong Yoo makes netizens jealous
- Jokowi praises Jakarta for Semanggi interchange
- Three former presidents join Jokowi to celebrate Independence Day
- UGM tops RI university ranking
- Ahok, other prisoners barred from Independence Day event
- Eleven teens suspected in prostitution ring
- KPK gets new information on flow of funds in e-ID graft
- China gets tough on long, odd company names
- At least 13 dead and 50 injured in Barcelona van attack