BNPB advises Jakarta to brace for floods
The Jakarta Post
Heavy rainfall since the early morning has led to floods in several areas of Jakarta.
Water was rising at several flood gates at 6 a.m., with most alarming level at Karet in South Jakarta, Pasar Ikan in North Jakarta and Pulo Gadung in East Jakarta.
Places nearby have been inundated with water, including the Cipinang Melayu and Cawang underpasses, both in East Jakarta.
“People should remain on alert and brace for floods,” said National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) spokesperson Sutopo Purwo Nugroho in a press statement.
The rain and floods, however, have not stopped a group of people who planned to stage a rally in front of the House of Representatives demanding the prosecution of Jakarta Governor Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama.
The Jakarta Police have reported that 200 people are already in front of the House complex in Senayan, Jakarta, as of 7:34 a.m.
BNPB provides real time information on the flood status in the capital via petabencana.id. (wit)
You might also like :
- Anies launches first housing project with zero down payment
- Jakarta designates lane for motorcycles
- Myanmar makes record drug bust with 30 million meth pills
- 'Millennial bravery' and taking the fight against corruption online
- Chance to push for IMF quota reform?
- Commentary: 'Minor reshuffle' and Jokowi's own political survival
- Health certificate to be compulsory for couples getting married
- Bali welcomes more South Korean tourists in 2017
- BMW ranks first, Subaru rated worst in electric vehicle survey
- ‘Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition’ slated for March