BNPB advises Jakarta to brace for floods
The Jakarta Post
Heavy rainfall since the early morning has led to floods in several areas of Jakarta.
Water was rising at several flood gates at 6 a.m., with most alarming level at Karet in South Jakarta, Pasar Ikan in North Jakarta and Pulo Gadung in East Jakarta.
Places nearby have been inundated with water, including the Cipinang Melayu and Cawang underpasses, both in East Jakarta.
“People should remain on alert and brace for floods,” said National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) spokesperson Sutopo Purwo Nugroho in a press statement.
The rain and floods, however, have not stopped a group of people who planned to stage a rally in front of the House of Representatives demanding the prosecution of Jakarta Governor Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama.
The Jakarta Police have reported that 200 people are already in front of the House complex in Senayan, Jakarta, as of 7:34 a.m.
BNPB provides real time information on the flood status in the capital via petabencana.id. (wit)
You might also like :
- Popular tourist sites in Bali safe amid tremors around Mount Agung
- 'Super malaria' spreading through SE Asia, poses global threat
- Entrepreneur wants to put Indonesia on the world technology map
- Court dismisses KPK’s objection in Setya’s pretrial hearing
- Tourism minister officiates new diving center in Tanjung Lesung
- Supermodel reunion at blockbuster Versace tribute in Milan
- Travel fair to boost Garuda’s business
- Bill Gates expresses regret over ‘Control+Alt+Delete’ button
- Google looking to help news outlets win subscribers
- Mamma Mia! British star Colin Firth is now Italian