I will definitely meet SBY: Prabowo
Margareth S. Aritonang
The Jakarta Post
Gerindra Party chairman Prabowo Subianto has affirmed his seriousness about meeting Democratic Party patron Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono to discuss a possible collaboration between their parties to help Anies Baswedan defeat Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama in the second round of the Jakarta gubernatorial election slated for April 19.
“We have good communications. The meeting between the leaders of the two parties will surely take place,” Prabowo said on the sidelines of a gathering to welcome King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud to the House of Representatives on Thursday.
He refused to give further details about the plan, such as the exact time and venue of the meeting, except saying the discussions on the matters were still ongoing.
The meeting plan was initiated by the Gerindra Party in an effort to gain more support for its gubernatorial candidate, Anies, who is running with businessman Sandiaga Uno in the election.
During Thursday’s gathering, Prabowo was seen engaging in a light conversation with Yudhoyono, who also attended King Salman’s speech at the House.
Gerindra deputy chairman Fadli Zon, who is also a House deputy speaker, told The Jakarta Post that his party had intended to embrace Yudhoyono and his Democratic Party because of the significant support that might bring victory to the Anies-Sandi ticket.
Fadli referred to himself as one of the initiators of the Prabowo-Yudhoyono meeting, saying that he was continuously talking with the team from the Democratic-led coalition, which backed Agus Harimurti Yudhoyono and Sylviana Murni. Agus and Sylviana lost in the first round of the election. (ebf)
You might also like :
- Obama arrives in Bali
- Media mogul declared intimidation suspect
- Indonesia's Jangkrik field’s first LNG cargo delivered
- Australia sends spy planes to south Philippines
- Former US president Obama to arrive on Bali this afternoon
- Australian citizen denied entry to Bali due to criminal record
- Property developer sees potential to build office buildings for startups in Bali
- Indonesia's upstream projects proposed for strategic project list
- No extravagant ceremony to welcome Obama: Official
- Online drivers choose to stay in Jakarta to earn more cash