Megawati calls on women to fight for Ahok
Callistasia Anggun Wijaya
The Jakarta Post
Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) chairwoman Megawati Soekarnoputri has cited the power of women to impact the result of the Jakarta gubernatorial runoff election slated for April 19.
Speaking at Rumah Lembang, the campaign headquarters of incumbent Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama, in Central Jakarta on Tuesday, Megawati spoke energetically for about 18 minutes, saying female supporters would be key to winning.
"I'm hopeful about ibu-ibu [women] because when we move we usually win. Why? Because women are talkative. Bapak-bapak [men] are not as strong as us," Megawati told hundreds of Ahok supporters.
Megawati asked the supporters to help straighten out certain misconceptions, as some residents of the capital believe they should not vote for a kafir (infidel) leader, referring to Ahok who is a Christian of Chinese ethnicity.
"We should tell ibu-ibu who still don't understand that we're not voting for a religious leader [...] We will vote for an administrative leader," she said.
Megawati added that the supporters should consider the accomplishments of Ahok and his running mate Djarot Saiful Hidayat, and that all Jakartans should give Ahok and Djarot the chance to continue their programs by reelecting them.
During the campaign periods for both rounds of the election, Megawati has played a large role in supporting the pair.
You might also like :
- Ahok faces threats in Cipinang prison: Warden
- Two Bali foreign inmates caught in Timor Leste
- Prosecutors in e-ID case demand former Home Ministry officials be jailed
- Batam, Yokohama to collaborate in urban development projects
- How embargo affects Qatar investment in Indonesia
- Bank Indonesia sets chip technology standard for ATMs, debit cards
- Facebook gets Indonesia nod for local unit
- Most crimes in Jakarta committed by youngsters: Research
- East Jakarta robbery gang well managed: Police
- Beijing's new mega airport will challenge Air China's dominance