KPU Jakarta head denies accusations
Callistasia Anggun Wijaya
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta General Elections Commission (KPU Jakarta) head Sumarno has denied accusations he violated the election organizer’s code of conduct, as alleged by the volunteers of incumbent Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama, who reported him to the Election Organization Ethics Council (DKPP) on Thursday.
Sumarno, for instance, is said to have failed to remain neutral by using a photo of the “212 protest”, a large protest demanding the prosecution of Ahok on Dec 2, 2016, as his Whatsapp profile picture.
Sumarno said he uploaded the photo a long time ago.
The rally, which was attended by the President, the vice president, the Indonesian Military (TNI) commander, the police chief, the coordinating political, legal and security affairs minister, was not related to the election, he said.
“The event looked good from Monas [National Monument]. The photo has nothing to do with [my] independency or neutrality,” Sumarno said at his office in Salemba, Central Jakarta, on Thursday.
He also denied accusations that he breached the code of conduct by meeting with Ahok’s rival candidate, Anies Baswedan, during a revote in a polling station in Kalibata, South Jakarta, on Feb 19.
“The meeting was accidental. It also occurred in an open space,” he said.
Sumarno then refuted the accusation that he had postponed a plenary meeting to announce the runoff on March 4 because he had dinner with Anies.
He denied having dinner with Anies.
- OK Otrip opposed by minivan operators
- Sandiaga admits allowing ‘becak’ a political contract
- Men treated as dogs and pigs in Paris catwalk shows
- Woody Allen backlash grows as daughter says telling 'truth'
- New Air Force chief to prioritize procurement of jet fighters
- Lazada to implement e-payment gateway system this year
- Jokowi inaugurates new Cabinet ministers
- Celine Dion's Jakarta concert ticket price reaches Rp 25m
- PGN to acquire Pertagas in cash scheme
- AirAsia to move international flight operations to Soekarno-Hatta Terminal 3