Soeharto’s half brother supports Ahok: Campaign team
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta governor candidate Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama’s campaign team spokesman Ruhut Sitompul has said Probosutedjo, a businessman who is the half brother of the late president Soeharto, has thrown his support behind the incumbent in the April 19 election runoff.
Ruhut claimed that Probosutedjo invited Ahok to his house on Jl. Diponegoro, Menteng, Central Jakarta, on Wednesday.
“The two of us went [to Probosutedjo’s house]. Probosutedjo’s wife really supports Pak Ahok. She a Ahoker (Ahok supporter),” Ruhut said as quoted by Kompas.com on Friday.
He further said that in the meeting, Probosutedjo introduced his staff to Ahok. They welcomed the governor and took pictures with him, he added.
Ruhut said Probosutedjo had supported Ahok and his running mate, Djarot Saiful Hidayat, in the first round of the election on Feb. 15.
Meanwhile, one of Soeharto's daughter, Golkar Party member Titiek Soeharto, reportedly supports Anies Baswedan and his running mate Sandiaga Uno. Her support contradicts the party's decision to endorse Ahok and Djarot in the election. (cal/ebf)
- List of moderate Islamic preachers needed: Scholar
- US warns Syria of 'firm' action over southern offensive
- Colombia to become first Latin American NATO 'global partner'
- Pair of Japanese premium melons sell for record $29,300
- Malaysian playboy financier in cross
- Two Koreas’ leaders hold second summit: Cheong Wa Dae
- New Terrorism Law no silver bullet, says rights researcher
- Out of South Africa, reminiscing the indelible Eden
- Dugong sellers thwarted in West Sulawesi
- Prisoners evacuated from flooded Pekalongan Penitentiary