Discovery of illegally logged timber shows rampant illegal logging practices continue in Jambi
The Jakarta Post
Members of the Garuda Putih Military Resort Command in Jambi seized more than a hundred cubic meters of illegally logged timber in the concession area of a company in Kumpeh Ulu district, Muaro Jambi regency, Jambi province, on Saturday.
“This is not an arrest, but a discovery of evidence,” Military resort commander Col. Refrizal said on Sunday.
The military personnel discovered the logs acting on tips from the public and the owner of Forest Concession Rights (HPH) over the past month. The information was also forwarded to the Jambi Forestry Agency and the Jambi Police.
Refrizal said there were around 1,000 hectares of land opened up under the HPH scheme, but up to now, people continued to encroach on the forest.
“We seized 120 to 150 cubic meters of timber and rengas [Gluta Renghas]. However, we have no suspects for this case,” he added.
The Jambi Forestry Agency’s forest protection division head Ahmad Bestari said the province was working to crack down on illegal logging. The practices, he said, caused state losses and damaged the environment.
- Jakarta officials confirm Ahok returned Rp 1.2b in operational funds
- 7 people caught red-handed by KPK in alleged bribery case
- Further attacks feared
- Ahok resigns from post, returns money
- Ramadhan begins on Saturday, govt says
- Maria Ozawa, Filipino-Spanish BF in first pictorial as a couple
- Five people arrested in relation to Jakarta twin suicide bomb attack
- Children’s book launched to promote Indonesian culture, wildlife
- Study finds moratorium does little to curb deforestation
- NU intensifies monitoring to curb radicalism during Ramadhan