Ahok focuses on online campaign in second round
The Jakarta Post
Incumbent Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama has intensified his online campaign ahead of the April 19 runoff against rival Anies Baswedan in the Jakarta gubernatorial election.
The governor has launched two programs: the Ahok Show and Kepoin Pelayan Jakarta (Scrutinizing Jakarta’s Servants), which can be accessed on Ahok’s and his team’s social media accounts.
The Ahok Show, which has aired since March 17, features popular presenter Sarah Sechan as Ahok’s co-host. The program targets youths by bringing up topics and games such as “flip the bottle” and “chubby bunny marshmallow”, which are popular among youths.
Filmmaker Nia Dinata, who serves as a consultant for the program, said the idea to create the program came from Ahok. “[Ahok] said, ‘I think I can host a talk show.’”, she said as quoted by kompas.com on Wednesday.
Nia said she believed Ahok had what it took to be an entertaining host with his brash personality. “As a leader, he needs to maintain his relations with the youths. If he does not win the election, the show should go on because, who knows, we can achieve many things by talking to young people,” Nia added.
In Kepoin Pelayan Jakarta, Ahok and his running mate, Djarot Saiful Hidayat, carry out online blusukan (impromptu visit). Through the program, Instagram and Facebook users can directly pose questions to the pair. (rdi/ary)
- 53 injured as Saudi jet makes emergency landing
- Anwar reassures Malays who fear losing racial advantage
- Police find 'missing' teen's body at South Jakarta apartment
- Commentary: Soeharto's most likely successor? How about Prabowo?
- Castle restoration plan with no elevators causing controversy
- Joey Alexander among '50 Asians to watch'
- Australian archbishop guilty of concealing child sex abuse
- Police probe Jakarta officials on fatal Monas incident
- Danish minister says Ramadan fasting can be 'dangerous'
- Five dead in India from Nipah virus, dozens quarantined