Ahok focuses on online campaign in second round
The Jakarta Post
Incumbent Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama has intensified his online campaign ahead of the April 19 runoff against rival Anies Baswedan in the Jakarta gubernatorial election.
The governor has launched two programs: the Ahok Show and Kepoin Pelayan Jakarta (Scrutinizing Jakarta’s Servants), which can be accessed on Ahok’s and his team’s social media accounts.
The Ahok Show, which has aired since March 17, features popular presenter Sarah Sechan as Ahok’s co-host. The program targets youths by bringing up topics and games such as “flip the bottle” and “chubby bunny marshmallow”, which are popular among youths.
Filmmaker Nia Dinata, who serves as a consultant for the program, said the idea to create the program came from Ahok. “[Ahok] said, ‘I think I can host a talk show.’”, she said as quoted by kompas.com on Wednesday.
Nia said she believed Ahok had what it took to be an entertaining host with his brash personality. “As a leader, he needs to maintain his relations with the youths. If he does not win the election, the show should go on because, who knows, we can achieve many things by talking to young people,” Nia added.
In Kepoin Pelayan Jakarta, Ahok and his running mate, Djarot Saiful Hidayat, carry out online blusukan (impromptu visit). Through the program, Instagram and Facebook users can directly pose questions to the pair. (rdi/ary)
- Obama arrives in Bali
- Media mogul declared intimidation suspect
- Indonesia's Jangkrik field’s first LNG cargo delivered
- Australia sends spy planes to south Philippines
- Former US president Obama to arrive on Bali this afternoon
- Australian citizen denied entry to Bali due to criminal record
- Property developer sees potential to build office buildings for startups in Bali
- Indonesia's upstream projects proposed for strategic project list
- No extravagant ceremony to welcome Obama: Official
- Online drivers choose to stay in Jakarta to earn more cash