Missing NZ tourist found dead
Ni Komang Erviani
The Jakarta Post
Temson Mannie Junior Simeki, a New Zealand man reported missing for four days since Monday, has been found dead in Nusa Penida waters on Friday morning.
The 23-year-old man was reportedly swept away by a high wave when he was swimming in the Angel's Billabong, Nusa Penida, on Monday.
Bali Police spokesperson Adj. Sr. Com. Hengky Widjaja said the body of the victim was found by two fishermen from Lembongan village, I Wayan Supiri and I Gede Sujana.
“The two fishermen were on their traditional boat on the way home after fishing in waters in South Bali when they saw something floating in the waters of Crystal Bay. They found out it was a human body,” Hengky explained on Friday.
The fishermen brought the body to the nearest floating jetty and made a report to the police. “The corpse was taken to Sanglah Hospital by the National Search and Rescue Agency [Basarnas] team,” he added.
The incident took place when Simeki and his two friends, Leonie Alanise Hafke, 20, from Germany and Indonesian Kalia Betari Utami, 24, visited the Angel’s Billabong, a natural swimming pool in Bunga Mekar village in Nusa Penida district. A big wave hit them when they were taking wefie photos on the edge of a cliff. Simeki and Hafke were pulled out to the sea by a high wave but the latter was rescued by an Australian tourist, James Crawford, 46, and survived the incident.
The results of an external examination conducted by a Sanglah Forensic team confirmed that it was Simeki’s body. The victim’s family members have also confirmed this. (ebf)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Truck full of bodies draws Mexicans searching for relatives
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations