Student found dead in Central Jakarta sluice
The Jakarta Post
A junior high school student was found dead from drowning in a sluice in Central Jakarta on Wednesday after, together with his nine friends, ignoring warning signs to not to play in the water.
The victim, identified as Prayoga Triguntoro, 14, died after drowning in a sluice in Kemayoran, Central Jakarta, for 18 hours.
“He was found 100 meters from the vanishing point,” said Jakarta Fire and Rescue Agency spokesperson Dwi Septiyanto, as quoted by kompas.com.
Kemayoran Police chief Comr. Muhammad Roshid said that the police had questioned four Public Facility Maintenance (PPSU) workers.
“Those kids have been warned not to play near [the sluice],” Roshid said.
A circulating video showed some 10 kids playing on an orange boat floating nearby the sluice gate. They jumped into the water a few times until the boat overturned and caused all of them to plunge into the water.
Eight of them managed to survive while the other two Jabar and Prayoga were swept away by the water. Jabar was able to save himself, but Prayoga disappeared. (wnd)
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Car hits pedestrians outside UK mosque in suspected hate crime
- Indonesia exports religious take on family planning
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Woodward's Trump book sells 1.1 million in first week
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Balinale set to return with award-winning movies, guests
- Instant Noodle Longform
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves