Kevin, Marcus make hat trick with Malaysia Open win
The Jakarta Post
On-fire world number two pair Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo and Marcus Fernaldi Gideon of Indonesia have won the Malaysia Open badminton tournament to produce their third back-to-back victory.
The Indonesian men’s doubles duo on Sunday defeated Fu Haifeng and Zheng Siwei of China 21-14, 14-21, 21-12 in a 52-minute battle at the Perpaduan stadium in Kuching, according to tournamentsoftware.com.
The Malaysia Open win is the third victory in a row for Kevin and Marcus, who triumphed at the 2017 All England in early March and at the 2017 India Open last week.
“We’re thrilled to win in Malaysia, right after the All England and India, because we were quite worn-out,” Marcus said in a statement.
Kevin and Marcus were Indonesia’s only winners in Malaysia.
World number three pair Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir in mixed doubles was stopped in the semifinals by Lu Kai and Huang Yaqiong of China, while Jonatan Christie in men singles was knocked out by China’s legend Lin Dan in the quarterfinals.
Other victors in Sunday’s finals were Zheng Siwei and Chen Qingchen of China in mixed doubles, Tai Tzu Ying of Taiwan in women’s singles as well as Yuki Fukushima and Sayaka Hirota of Japan in women’s doubles.
You might also like :
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 22 migrants missing off Morocco after boat capsizes
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Republican urges conservatives to run against Trump in 2020
- Trump says doesn't want to hear 'suffering' Khashoggi tape
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- Political parties clash over sharia-based bylaws
- Your next Uber ride may have a minifridge stocked with snacks
- Indonesia launches 16th economic package
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw