Jokowi welcomes US Vice President Mike Pence at Presidential Palace
The Jakarta Post
United States Vice President Mike Pence paid a courtesy call to President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo at the Presidential Palace in Jakarta on Thursday.
Pence, who arrived on Wednesday night, is in Jakarta as part of a 10-day Asia Pacific tour, after earlier visiting South Korea and Japan.
Pence and his wife, Karen Pence, were welcomed by Jokowi and First Lady Iriana as they arrived at the Presidential Palace at 10 a.m.
(Read also: Amid tension, Pence visit a litmus test for US-RI ties)
Jokowi and Pence retreated to the palace’s veranda to discuss numerous issues between the two countries. Offering a more casual environment for discussions, the veranda has become known as a venue for diplomatic moments sometimes referred to as "veranda talk."
After the veranda talk, Jokowi and Pence are set to hold a joint press conference.
Pence and Vice President Jusuf Kalla are scheduled to have a meeting at the Vice Presidential Palace at 11 a.m.
- Survey finds Jakarta among world’s worst for women
- Barack Obama returns to the political arena
- Marinda airport in Raja Ampat set to become international airport
- More drug dealers to be shot dead: BNN chief
- Across Asia, liver cancer is linked to herbal remedies: Study
- EDITORIAL: Jokowi grows on the job
- North Jakarta group cancels Alexis Hotel protest
- Airline, bank reach for the sky with e-money
- Philippines to reject EU aid: Duterte
- Preventing osteoporosis: How to boost bone health