Jokowi welcomes US Vice President Mike Pence at Presidential Palace
The Jakarta Post
United States Vice President Mike Pence paid a courtesy call to President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo at the Presidential Palace in Jakarta on Thursday.
Pence, who arrived on Wednesday night, is in Jakarta as part of a 10-day Asia Pacific tour, after earlier visiting South Korea and Japan.
Pence and his wife, Karen Pence, were welcomed by Jokowi and First Lady Iriana as they arrived at the Presidential Palace at 10 a.m.
(Read also: Amid tension, Pence visit a litmus test for US-RI ties)
Jokowi and Pence retreated to the palace’s veranda to discuss numerous issues between the two countries. Offering a more casual environment for discussions, the veranda has become known as a venue for diplomatic moments sometimes referred to as "veranda talk."
After the veranda talk, Jokowi and Pence are set to hold a joint press conference.
Pence and Vice President Jusuf Kalla are scheduled to have a meeting at the Vice Presidential Palace at 11 a.m.
- 53 injured as Saudi jet makes emergency landing
- Anwar reassures Malays who fear losing racial advantage
- Police find 'missing' teen's body at South Jakarta apartment
- Commentary: Soeharto's most likely successor? How about Prabowo?
- Castle restoration plan with no elevators causing controversy
- Joey Alexander among '50 Asians to watch'
- Australian archbishop guilty of concealing child sex abuse
- Police probe Jakarta officials on fatal Monas incident
- Danish minister says Ramadan fasting can be 'dangerous'
- Five dead in India from Nipah virus, dozens quarantined