Divers pick up underwater trash in E. Nusa Tenggara
The Jakarta Post
Fourteen divers conducted an underwater cleanup in Kupang Bay, Kupang, East Nusa Tenggara, to celebrate Earth Day, which falls on April 22.
During the event, divers from the Indonesian Navy (TNI AL), the Sawu Sea Waters Conservation Agency (BKKPN), the Kupang Search and Rescue Agency and the Flobamora Diving Club collected considerable amounts of underwater garbage from the area.
“This underwater cleanup is conducted in honor of Earth Day, which we will celebrate tomorrow [Saturday]. TNI AL and all stakeholders are committed to cleaning up coastal areas across East Nusa Tenggara,” Kupang Naval Main Base (Lantamal) deputy commander Col. Fransiscus Herman told journalists on Friday.
He said it was the first underwater cleanup conducted in East Nusa Tenggara. It aimed to send a message that it was important for them to keep coastal areas clean.
Fransiscus said the divers managed to collect 50 kilograms of trash, which was dominated by plastic waste.
Fransiscus said at a previous event, TNI AL worked together with the Kupang administration to clean up the Oeba fish auction port (PPI), in which they managed to collect about 4,000 kilograms of trash.
BKKPN Sawu head Ikran Sangadji said the underwater cleanup was aimed at reminding Indonesia and the world to protect beaches and seas.
“This movement is the start of the revolution for a Clean Indonesia that has been mandated in Presidential Instruction No.12/2017,” he said. (ebf)
- BTS presents tearful, beautiful finale of ‘Wings’ tour in Seoul
- Foreign prisoner escapes from Kerobokan prison
- Online shops not causing closure of retail outlets: BPS
- Heavy rainfall in Jakarta topples trees, disrupts traffic
- Chengdu tops list as China's happiest city
- Floods, toppled trees disrupt Transjakarta services
- ‘Wonder’, a wonderfully heartwarming film for all
- Heavy rainfall unanticipated, says BPBD
- Qatar interested in investing in Mandalika tourism zone: Luhut
- Jakarta administration criticized for not uploading meeting videos