Jakarta election a victory for the people: MPR chief
The Jakarta Post
The chairman of the People's Consultative Assembly (MPR), Zulkifli Hasan, has described the Jakarta gubernatorial election as proof of the victory of the people in today's democracy.
"The Jakarta election was a victory of the people and a victory for democracy," he said in a discussion of the Four Pillars of MPR RI at Pondok Pesantren Daarul Arqam, Majalengka, West Java, on Monday.
Zulkifli, who is also the chairman of the National Mandate Party (PAN), which supported governor-elect Anies Baswedan in the race, said he was grateful that the election was peaceful and safe, proving the strong bonds among the people of the country.
"We are grateful that the election in Jakarta was safe and peaceful. After I voted I went around, there was no noise, there was no argument. It turned out we were just being attacked in a propaganda war, but our people are brothers to each other," he said.
Discussing nationalism in the event, Zulkfili quoted the late Nahdlatul Ulama (NU) leader Hasyim Muzadi who said that diversity was the hallmark of Indonesia. Therefore, he continued, it was important for the people to care for national unity. (dis/wit)
- Thousands sign petition against sentence for Malaysian who abused maid
- Saudi Arabia beheads Indonesian worker despite Jokowi’s pleas for clemency
- Bottled water meets quality standards: BPOM
- Why the rich in Jakarta have better access to water than the poor
- No condoms or cigarettes sold at Muslim convenience store in Depok
- Missing giant yellow duck found in Australia
- Residents clash with police personnel in land execution in C. Sulawesi
- Anies issues regulation simplifying process of shutting down entertainment spots
- With Rp 10 billion, what kind of home can you get in Jakarta?
- Indonesian short film on oil palm industry enters international festivals