Jakarta election a victory for the people: MPR chief
The Jakarta Post
The chairman of the People's Consultative Assembly (MPR), Zulkifli Hasan, has described the Jakarta gubernatorial election as proof of the victory of the people in today's democracy.
"The Jakarta election was a victory of the people and a victory for democracy," he said in a discussion of the Four Pillars of MPR RI at Pondok Pesantren Daarul Arqam, Majalengka, West Java, on Monday.
Zulkifli, who is also the chairman of the National Mandate Party (PAN), which supported governor-elect Anies Baswedan in the race, said he was grateful that the election was peaceful and safe, proving the strong bonds among the people of the country.
"We are grateful that the election in Jakarta was safe and peaceful. After I voted I went around, there was no noise, there was no argument. It turned out we were just being attacked in a propaganda war, but our people are brothers to each other," he said.
Discussing nationalism in the event, Zulkfili quoted the late Nahdlatul Ulama (NU) leader Hasyim Muzadi who said that diversity was the hallmark of Indonesia. Therefore, he continued, it was important for the people to care for national unity. (dis/wit)
- EDITORIAL: Gesture of unity
- Jokowi forgives Malaysia over flag flop: spokesman
- 16,000 Indonesian islands registered at UN
- Holidaying Malaysian students rapped for bad behavior in Japan
- Palembang to highlight Sriwijaya kingdom, Asian Games in upcoming festival
- Woman convicted of blasphemy for spreading 'misguided' Islamic teachings
- Here’s how to sleep better and wake up without feeling tired
- Bandung unveils China Town tourism spot
- Most Indonesian museums non-operational: Official
- Central government certifies islets C and D