Singaporean tourist bitten by Komodo dragon
The Jakarta Post
A 50-year-old tourist from Singapore was attacked by a Komodo dragon in West Manggarai, East Nusa Tenggara, on Wednesday morning.
Lon Lee Alle, who was in the area to visit the Komodo National Park, was severely injured by a bite on his left leg.
According to the park’s head, Sudiyono, Alle was initially watching several Komodos eating pigs and goats belonging to villagers. He approached the animals to take pictures, ignoring locals’ warning that he should not go too close.
“He must have been too close. A Komodo doesn’t like to be disturbed when eating,” Sudiyono told The Jakarta Post.
Locals immediately helped pull Alle away from the crowd of Komodos and rushed him to the nearby medical center where he got first aid. Alle was then taken to the Siloam General Hospital using a military speed boat.
“This is the first incident of human being bitten by a Komodo dragon in the past five years,” Sudiyono said.
(Read also: Locals reap benefits of Komodo cruise boom)
He added that the Singaporean had stayed with locals for three days to save costs.
“The incident took place away from the area set by us where tourists are allowed to observe Komodos. I also appeal to all tourists to take guides with you when wandering around to see Komodo dragons. Never risk your safety by staying with locals and watching Komodos without an official guide only for the sake of your budget,” Sudiyono said. (bbs)
- Govt picks Inalum to buy Freeport’s shares
- First Karangasem Travel Mart a huge success
- BNPB prepared for Mount Agung eruption: Head
- Tourism Ministry attracts European investors at London's 'Indonesia Briefing'
- HIV/AIDS prevention should also focus on men, not just sex workers: Djarot
- Deutsche Bank interested in helping SOEs buy Freeport’s shares
- Sleepy driver crashes sports car into Transjakarta lane separator
- Startup investment grows 60 times in five years: Research
- New 'ghost' orchid species discovered on Java
- Melania ads removed following Trump lawyer's complaint