Ahok supporters to bring 8,000 roses on Tuesday's hearing
The Jakarta Post
Supporters of outgoing Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama have planned to bring 8,000 roses in front of the Agriculture Ministry's office on Jl. RM Harsono, Ragunan, South Jakarta, on Tuesday, when the verdict on the blasphemy case against Ahok is set to be announced.
The supporters’ coordinator, Birgaldo Sinaga, said that the upcoming events on Tuesday, in which judges at the North Jakarta District Court are expected to announce the verdict, would be the peak of their long journey in following Ahok’s case.
“We will bring 8,000 red and white roses for Ahok tomorrow,” Birgaldo said as quoted by kompas.com on Monday.
He said that about 5,000 supporters wearing red and blue plaid shirts would rally by bringing roses, pins with pictures of Garuda Pancasila, the national emblem, and books that state reasons why they support Ahok.
They also planned to erect a miniature monument symbolizing justice and freedom and to surround the monument with roses on Jl. RM Harsono, Birgaldo said.
He added that the supporters aimed to not only defend Ahok as an individual, but also the Constitution, in an effort to prevent disintegration in the country. (cal)
- Some countries buying Russian gear deserve sanctions waivers: Mattis
- Student allegedly paralyzed after being told to do 120 jump squats as punishment
- Thousands protest Australia's refugee detention policy
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games
- Jakpost guide to Pasar Modern Bintaro
- Jambi girl imprisoned for abortion after being raped by brother
- This is why you’re sweating during sleep
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- 5.4 magnitude quake hits Solok, kills one