Jakarta to hold National Awakening concert at Kalijodo Park
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta administration plans to conduct a National Awakening concert featuring a number of famous musicians, like Addie MS, Erwin Gutawa, Maia Estianti and Once, at Kalijodo Park on May 21.
Acting Jakarta governor Djarot Saiful Hidayat said the concert was also held to welcome the 490th anniversary of Jakarta, which falls on June 22.
“The concert will involve musicians, artists as well as the participation of the public,” Djarot was quoted by kompas.com as saying at the governor’s official residence in Menteng, Central Jakarta.
Djarot invited the artists and musicians involved to the residence to discuss the concert.
Djarot further said he was inspired by a choir led by Addie MS at City Hall on Wednesday morning, which had much support from citizens. Thousands of people participated in the choir where national songs like “Indonesia Raya,” “Garuda Pancasila” and “Syukur” were performed.
“We want to revive the spirit of nationalism that has Pancasila as its ideology and the motto Bhinneka Tunggal Ika [unity in diversity],” Djarot said, adding that the city had also prepared 490 doves to be released during the concert.
He said that doves are a symbol of peace, love and loyalty to Indonesia. (vny/dmr)
- Seoul Fashion Week ready for kickoff
- 17 missing students in North Sumatra flood rescued
- NTT to move immigrants to island near Australia
- Movie star Chow Yun-fat to give entire fortune to charity
- The warning signs get stronger
- Lewinsky affair not an abuse of power, says Hillary Clinton
- US wants "regime change" in Iran: Rouhani
- KPK urged to be resolute in solving IndonesiaLeaks report case
- Washington diocese names 31 former clergy accused of abuse
- Delayed school entry good for mental health: Study