Golkar to hold leaders meeting to prepare for 2019 elections
Margareth S. Aritonang and Nurul Fitri Ramadhani
The Jakarta Post
The Golkar Party is set to hold a national leadership meeting (Rapimnas) slated for May 21 to May 23 in Balikpapan, East Kalimantan. The meeting is part of the party’s move to prepare for the 2019 legislative and presidential elections.
To secure victories in the elections, the leadership meeting will discuss Golkar’s election campaign initiatives, member recruitment improvements and strategies to secure votes at polling stations, party executive chief Nurdin Khalid said.
Nurdin further explained that in the meeting, Golkar would present awards to winners of a village-level soccer championship held by the party in villages across Indonesia.
“In the final game, participants will fight for a trophy from Pak Jokowi [President Joko Widodo],” he told journalists at a meeting at Golkar’s headquarters in Slipi, West Jakarta, on Monday evening.
The announcement to hold a leadership meeting has come amid an internal rift triggered by opposing opinions in regard to Golkar chairman Setya Novanto's alleged involvement in a mega scandal revolving around the e-ID procurement project. (ebf)
- Anwar reassures Malays who fear losing racial advantage
- To fast or not? Free of IS, Syrians in Raqa mark relaxed Ramadhan
- Joey Alexander among '50 Asians to watch'
- After 20 years, tough road ahead
- Anwar Ibrahim's Jakarta visit packed with media interviews
- Danish minister says Ramadan fasting can be 'dangerous'
- Castle restoration plan with no elevators causing controversy
- How new antiterrorism law will change Indonesia's war on terror
- Woman in Banyumas killed by king cobra
- How a woman saves stray dogs in Lombok, alone