Golkar to hold leaders meeting to prepare for 2019 elections
Margareth S. Aritonang and Nurul Fitri Ramadhani
The Jakarta Post
The Golkar Party is set to hold a national leadership meeting (Rapimnas) slated for May 21 to May 23 in Balikpapan, East Kalimantan. The meeting is part of the party’s move to prepare for the 2019 legislative and presidential elections.
To secure victories in the elections, the leadership meeting will discuss Golkar’s election campaign initiatives, member recruitment improvements and strategies to secure votes at polling stations, party executive chief Nurdin Khalid said.
Nurdin further explained that in the meeting, Golkar would present awards to winners of a village-level soccer championship held by the party in villages across Indonesia.
“In the final game, participants will fight for a trophy from Pak Jokowi [President Joko Widodo],” he told journalists at a meeting at Golkar’s headquarters in Slipi, West Jakarta, on Monday evening.
The announcement to hold a leadership meeting has come amid an internal rift triggered by opposing opinions in regard to Golkar chairman Setya Novanto's alleged involvement in a mega scandal revolving around the e-ID procurement project. (ebf)
- EDITORIAL: Gesture of unity
- Jokowi forgives Malaysia over flag flop: spokesman
- 16,000 Indonesian islands registered at UN
- Holidaying Malaysian students rapped for bad behavior in Japan
- Palembang to highlight Sriwijaya kingdom, Asian Games in upcoming festival
- Woman convicted of blasphemy for spreading 'misguided' Islamic teachings
- Here’s how to sleep better and wake up without feeling tired
- Bandung unveils China Town tourism spot
- Most Indonesian museums non-operational: Official
- Central government certifies islets C and D