Dems endorse incumbent Papua Governor Lukas Enembe for reelection in 2018
Nethy Dharma Somba
The Jakarta Post
The Democratic Party is officially supporting incumbent Papua Governor Lukas Enembe to run for reelection in the upcoming elections in Papua, which will be held on June 27 next year alongside elections in other regions across Indonesia. The endorsement came during the party’s regional conference in Biak, Papua, on Tuesday.
Lukas is also set to continue in his position as chairman of the Democrat Party’s Papua regional board for the 2017-2022 period.
“We announce today [Tuesday] that we endorse Lukas Enembe to continue his leadership as governor for the 2018-2023 period,” the conference’s organizing committee head Thomas Ondi said in his remarks.
Around 500 participants from 29 local branches of the Democratic Party attended the conference.
Two Democratic Party central executive board executives, Muhammad Jafar Hapsa and retired general Edi Wibowo, deputy secretary-generals Rahlan Nashidik and Rifai Darus, and the party’s executive director Fajar Sampurno also attended the conference.
The Democratic Party has not yet announced Lukas’ running mate for the gubernatorial race.
The registration phase for the 2018 regional elections will start in August this year as stipulated by a General Elections Commission regulation. (mrc/ebf)
- Obama arrives in Bali
- Media mogul declared intimidation suspect
- Indonesia's Jangkrik field’s first LNG cargo delivered
- Australia sends spy planes to south Philippines
- Former US president Obama to arrive on Bali this afternoon
- Australian citizen denied entry to Bali due to criminal record
- Property developer sees potential to build office buildings for startups in Bali
- Indonesia's upstream projects proposed for strategic project list
- No extravagant ceremony to welcome Obama: Official
- Online drivers choose to stay in Jakarta to earn more cash