Dems endorse incumbent Papua Governor Lukas Enembe for reelection in 2018
Nethy Dharma Somba
The Jakarta Post
The Democratic Party is officially supporting incumbent Papua Governor Lukas Enembe to run for reelection in the upcoming elections in Papua, which will be held on June 27 next year alongside elections in other regions across Indonesia. The endorsement came during the party’s regional conference in Biak, Papua, on Tuesday.
Lukas is also set to continue in his position as chairman of the Democrat Party’s Papua regional board for the 2017-2022 period.
“We announce today [Tuesday] that we endorse Lukas Enembe to continue his leadership as governor for the 2018-2023 period,” the conference’s organizing committee head Thomas Ondi said in his remarks.
Around 500 participants from 29 local branches of the Democratic Party attended the conference.
Two Democratic Party central executive board executives, Muhammad Jafar Hapsa and retired general Edi Wibowo, deputy secretary-generals Rahlan Nashidik and Rifai Darus, and the party’s executive director Fajar Sampurno also attended the conference.
The Democratic Party has not yet announced Lukas’ running mate for the gubernatorial race.
The registration phase for the 2018 regional elections will start in August this year as stipulated by a General Elections Commission regulation. (mrc/ebf)
- Seven fasting tips for diabetics
- Terrorism Law still in limbo
- Macron, Trudeau 'bromance' fires up internet
- China sets up semifinal thriller against Japan in Sudirman Cup
- Former first lady calls for fight against intolerance
- My frogs have been eaten by a monitor lizard: Jokowi
- Urging love, Ariana Grande plans show for Manchester attack victims
- ‘Jamu’ fuels Jokowi’s frenetic schedule
- South Korea too strong for Thais to reach Sudirman Cup final