Police yet to name Rizieq suspect in pornography case
Callistasia Anggun Wijaya
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Police have yet to name Islam Defenders Front (FPI) founder Rizieq Shihab a suspect in a pornography case, despite naming Firza Husein a suspect for purportedly sharing pornographic material in WhatsApp chats between her and Rizieq.
Jakarta Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Argo Yuwono said they still needed to obtain more evidence that showed Rizieq’s involvement in the case.
“We’re still waiting for the police’s investigation,” Argo said at the Jakarta Police headquarters on Wednesday.
Rizieq ignored two police summons on April 25 and May 10.
He was reported to be in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and now in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
Argo said the police might request Interpol to issue a blue notice to discover Rizieq’s whereabouts.
Previously, the police confirmed that the pictures of a naked woman who appeared in the chats were of Firza.
Police have also questioned experts including criminal law expert from Trisakti University, Effendy Saragih, who said the alleged conversation between Firza and Rizieq fulfilled the pornography elements as stipulated in the 2008 Pornography Law.
“According to the chat, he [Rizieq] asked for the [nude] photos,” Effendy said.
Effendy said he assumed that the motive in the case was simply personal pleasure.
Firza's lawyer Azis Yanuar said his client, who denied the authenticity of the chat and photos, would file a pre-trial challenge to her being named a pornography suspect.
- Popular tourist sites in Bali safe amid tremors around Mount Agung
- Entrepreneur wants to put Indonesia on the world technology map
- 'Super malaria' spreading through SE Asia, poses global threat
- Bill Gates expresses regret over ‘Control+Alt+Delete’ button
- Court dismisses KPK’s objection in Setya’s pretrial hearing
- Tourism minister officiates new diving center in Tanjung Lesung
- Car Free Day ineffective in reducing air pollution: Committee
- Violence cases against women, children in Jambi increased: Official
- A L'Oreal heiress is now the world's richest woman
- Supermodel reunion at blockbuster Versace tribute in Milan