Police yet to name Rizieq suspect in pornography case
Callistasia Anggun Wijaya
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Police have yet to name Islam Defenders Front (FPI) founder Rizieq Shihab a suspect in a pornography case, despite naming Firza Husein a suspect for purportedly sharing pornographic material in WhatsApp chats between her and Rizieq.
Jakarta Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Argo Yuwono said they still needed to obtain more evidence that showed Rizieq’s involvement in the case.
“We’re still waiting for the police’s investigation,” Argo said at the Jakarta Police headquarters on Wednesday.
Rizieq ignored two police summons on April 25 and May 10.
He was reported to be in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and now in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
Argo said the police might request Interpol to issue a blue notice to discover Rizieq’s whereabouts.
Previously, the police confirmed that the pictures of a naked woman who appeared in the chats were of Firza.
Police have also questioned experts including criminal law expert from Trisakti University, Effendy Saragih, who said the alleged conversation between Firza and Rizieq fulfilled the pornography elements as stipulated in the 2008 Pornography Law.
“According to the chat, he [Rizieq] asked for the [nude] photos,” Effendy said.
Effendy said he assumed that the motive in the case was simply personal pleasure.
Firza's lawyer Azis Yanuar said his client, who denied the authenticity of the chat and photos, would file a pre-trial challenge to her being named a pornography suspect.
- Three airlines to move to Terminal 3 in May
- Passport stamps becoming a thing of the past
- Candidates for Pertamina's top post submitted to Jokowi: SOE official
- Govt to take legal action against drillers of illegal oil well after fire
- Illegal oil exploration activities in Aceh must stop: WALHI
- High-rise buildings must provide access for fiber optics
- Indian court jails popular guru for life over teen rape
- Music-streaming millennials eye smart speakers
- Meghan Markle ties the knot -- but not with Prince Harry
- At least 10 killed, dozens injured in oil well fire in Aceh