Police yet to name Rizieq suspect in pornography case
Callistasia Anggun Wijaya
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Police have yet to name Islam Defenders Front (FPI) founder Rizieq Shihab a suspect in a pornography case, despite naming Firza Husein a suspect for purportedly sharing pornographic material in WhatsApp chats between her and Rizieq.
Jakarta Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Argo Yuwono said they still needed to obtain more evidence that showed Rizieq’s involvement in the case.
“We’re still waiting for the police’s investigation,” Argo said at the Jakarta Police headquarters on Wednesday.
Rizieq ignored two police summons on April 25 and May 10.
He was reported to be in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and now in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
Argo said the police might request Interpol to issue a blue notice to discover Rizieq’s whereabouts.
Previously, the police confirmed that the pictures of a naked woman who appeared in the chats were of Firza.
Police have also questioned experts including criminal law expert from Trisakti University, Effendy Saragih, who said the alleged conversation between Firza and Rizieq fulfilled the pornography elements as stipulated in the 2008 Pornography Law.
“According to the chat, he [Rizieq] asked for the [nude] photos,” Effendy said.
Effendy said he assumed that the motive in the case was simply personal pleasure.
Firza's lawyer Azis Yanuar said his client, who denied the authenticity of the chat and photos, would file a pre-trial challenge to her being named a pornography suspect.
- Jakarta shocked by deadly bombings days before Ramadhan
- Kampung Melayu suicide bomber identified
- Film inspired by 212 rally to hit cinemas
- #PrayForJakarta, #KamiTidakTakut trend worldwide following bomb blast
- Police find links between Jakarta twin bombings and Bandung bombing
- East Jakarta suicide blasts likely linked to IS: Police
- UK issues travel warning after Kampung Melayu bombings
- Jakarta bombing attack a retaliation against police: Analyst
- Pressure cooker bombs used in Kampung Melayu attack: Police
- Jakarta suicide bombing kills three police officers