Amien Rais ready to explain Rp 600m from Soetrisno Bachir
The Jakarta Post
National Mandate Party (PAN) patron Amien Rais has said he is ready to provide clarification in relation to Rp 600 million (US$ 45,089.10) he reportedly received from the Soetrisno Bachir Foundation, as revealed by Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) prosecutor Ali Fikri during the graft trial of former health minister Siti Fadilah Supari at the Jakarta Corruption Court on Wednesday.
Amien further said he had contacted his secretary to check the prosecutor’s statement on funds reportedly flowing to his bank account from Jan.15, 2007, to Aug.13, 2007.
Speaking in a press conference at his residence in Gandaria, South Jakarta, on Friday, Amien said he would visit the KPK on Monday to explain the Rp 600 million he reportedly received in six installments in 2007.
"Because the event happened 10 years ago, I needed to refresh my memory. At that time, Soetrisno Bachir told me he would provide funds to support my operational duties," said the former chairman of Indonesia’s second largest Islam organization, Muhammadiyah.
Amien further said he remembered Soetrisno as a successful entrepreneur who often helped him with social or religious events. Amien said he had once asked Soetrisno why he was willing to give support for his various activities.
"He just said: ‘I was ordered by my mother to help you'," said Amien, who went on to say he was ready to answer all questions related to the alleged flow of funds. (mrc/ebf)
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- No nutrients lost in rendang despite long cooking period, research says
- Basarnas ends search for Lion Air crash victims
- Bali authority denies report on JE viral infection outbreak
- Anti-LGBT sentiment rises ahead of elections
- Lion Air crash: 'I’m sure dad could swim his way out and survive the crash'
- Singapore Airlines to move to Soekarno-Hatta airport Terminal 3
- When Jokowi’s ‘other women’ let their hair down
- 5 ways to increase your lung capacity