Jokowi vows to build 60 suspension bridges to connect villages across Indonesia
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has targeted to build 60 iron suspension bridges to improve access in mountainous villages across the country.
Jokowi made the pledge on Saturday while inaugurating a new 90-meter suspension bridge named Kali Galeh in Bulu subdistrict, Temanggung regency, Central Java.
“I don’t only inaugurate big bridges, but also small ones like this, because they are a vital part of our infrastructure. This hanging bridge will speed up distribution of logistic and mobility of people between villages and subdistricts,” Jokowi said.
Jokowi said that without a bridge, travelers would have to take longer routes to arrive at certain villages, which would be costly and time consuming. He added that the difficult topography of regions across the country had forced the government to build more hanging bridges.
“Since 2015, the government has built 10 hanging bridges in Banten and four in Magelang [Central Java]. Papua and Sulawesi are regions that need hanging bridges the most,” Jokowi said, adding such a bridge would cost up to Rp 6 billion (US$451,000).
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo speaks to students at an Islamic boarding school.(JP/Haeril Halim)
Later on Saturday, Jokowi inaugurated a low-cost housing complex in Parakan subdistrict in Temanggung before he continued his activities to inspect the newly established Temanggung regional hospital.
Last Thursday, Jokowi embarked on a three-day working trip in Central Java, where he visited 22 sites in six regencies. He headed to Semarang on Saturday evening to conclude the trip and return to Jakarta. (bbs)
- Indonesian magician The Sacred Riana is crowned winner of Asia's Got Talent Season 2
- In first, SpaceX launches recycled rocket and spaceship
- Yogyakarta airport developers warned not to ‘steal’ people’s land
- 2 killed, 7 injured in Java quake: Agency
- Oil and gas lifting to fall slightly short of target
- Foundation documents culinary heritage via smartphone app
- Jakarta transportation operators to rejuvenate fleets
- Police arrest doctor for alleged hate speech against TNI chief
- Saudi women will also be allowed to drive motorcycles
- H&M says to close more stores as customers go online