House demands alternative way to summon suspect lawmaker
Nurul Fitri Ramadhani
The Jakarta Post
The House of Representatives' committee inquiring into the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has insisted that the antigraft body should let detained graft suspect and former Hanura Party lawmaker Miryam S. Haryani comply with the committee's summons.
"We know that we and the KPK have different stances on this matter, but the KPK should at least offer an alternative solution or a middle way. For example, it can facilitate us to come [to KPK's detention center where Miryam is detained]," said a committee member from the United Development Party (PPP), Arsul Sani.
Miryam was named a perjury suspect after she allegedly gave false testimony during a trial involving the multi-trillion rupiah e-ID case.
The indictments in the case alleged the involvement of other lawmakers, including House Speaker Setya Novanto and several members of the committee inquiry.
The team summoned Miryam on Monday to find out whether she had actually complained that she had been intimidated by several lawmakers who asked her to retract the statements she made to KPK investigators.
Officials take Miryam S. Haryani (center) to the Jakarta Police headquarters on May 1 after she was caught at a hotel in Kemang, South Jakarta. (Antara/Akbar Nugroho Gumay)
However, the KPK refused to let her comply with the summons on the grounds that it could harm the ongoing investigations into her case and the e-ID case. The House's summons, the KPK said in a written letter to the committee, constituted an "obstruction of justice."
"There should be non-formal communication [between the inquiry team and KPK]," Arsul said. (bbs)
- Beware the dangers of pre-cooked meals
- Korean comedy-drama sparks uproar for 'disrespecting Islam'
- 4 cities in Indonesia where you can travel by foot
- Another cargo plane skids off runway in Papua
- WhatsApp adds Picture-in-Picture feature on Android 8.0
- Six ITB students injured by crumbling pillar
- Wonderful Indonesia Festival 2017 to grace Manila
- Foreign tourists flocked to Penyengat Island Festival 2017
- Jember crowned Indonesia's Carnival City
- Danilo completes Man City move