Bikers banned from new Semanggi Interchange because of selfie fears
Ivany Atina Arbi
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta administration has decided to bar motorcyclists from using a new overpass in Central Jakarta called Simpang Susun Semanggi (Semanggi Interchange) as a result of fears they might take selfies, which could endanger their lives.
Jakarta Transportation Agency deputy head Sigit Wijatmoko said that motorcyclists tended to stop at the Semanggi cloverleaf to take pictures and the wind pressure at the height of the new road might pose a serious danger.
“This is not a form of discrimination against motorcyclists. Instead we are concerned about their safety because instead of crossing the interchange, they may just go there to take pictures,” he said on Monday.
Jakarta Governor Djarot Saiful Hidayat also expressed similar concerns, saying that the site was dangerous for anyone taking pictures.
“Taking selfies has become a trend, right? If something bad happens, who would be responsible?” Djarot said.
As previously reported, Djarot is planning to issue a gubernatorial decree for the interchange before the planned soft launch on July 29.
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo is scheduled to inaugurate the interchange on Independence Day on Aug.17. (fac)
- Pertamina renewable investment portion to reach 15 percent by 2030
- Google Assistant adds more languages in global push
- Apple plans upgrades to popular AirPods headphones
- Bogor reduces more than 5 tons of waste a day
- Deputy governor Perry Warjiyo nominated to head Bank Indonesia
- What to watch for in gadgets, deals from the biggest mobile show
- ‘Black Panther’ succeeds in bringing Wakanda to world
- Three bombs hit capital of Myanmar's Rakhine state
- Hopeful travelers line up overnight for flight promotions
- Construction of Central Jakarta Police headquarters to begin in April