Environment minister responds to President’s criticism
The Jakarta Post
In response to President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo’s criticism of the issuance of business-unfriendly regulations, Environment and Forestry Minister Siti Nurbaya Bakar says she never felt that she had issued regulations that caused problems for the business community.
Siti said on Monday she also never received any complaints from any businessman about regulations she had issued.
“No, I never heard that they [businesspeople] complained about regulations. Please, let me know, about what?” said Siti in Jakarta on Monday as reported by kontan.co.id.Read also: Don’t scare investors away, Jokowi tells ministers
Earlier on Monday, President Jokowi criticized Minister Siti and Energy and Mineral Resources Minister Ignasius Jonan for issuing ministerial regulations that contravened the government's deregulation program to improve the ease of doing business in the country.
"What we need to do is improve the ease of doing business in this country. Ministerial regulations should always refer to the objective. They should not scare investors away," Jokowi said during the Cabinet meeting on Monday.
Siti said she was not warned by President Jokowi before the President expressed his criticism during the Cabinet meeting.
However, she said would soon check the ministerial regulations she had issued that the President believed had disrupted the investment climate. “I will check, I need to study this because the statement came from the President,” she added. (bbn)
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Saudi woman's case against father stirs 'guardianship' debate
- Land owners unseal 46 schools after promise to hire them as civil servants
- Russia warns US it is 'playing with fire' with sanctions
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’