Minister warns new UI students about 'liberalism, communism, radicalism'
The Jakarta Post
Defense Minister Ryamizard Ryacudu has warned new university students about the "threat" of liberalism, communism and radicalism.
He made the statement while delivering a general lecture before thousands of new students at the University of Indonesia at the university's campus in Depok, West Java, on Friday.
Also attending the lecture was rector Muhammad Anis.
"There are real threats faced by Indonesian youth today, such as drug abuse. However, the greater challenge is the non-physical threat against Pancasila, which could ultimately threaten the nation's unity and resilience," the minister said as quoted in a release made available to The Jakarta Post on Saturday.
"Ideological threats are attempting to damage our mindset through the influence of 'materialism'. Materialist ideology here is liberalism, communism, socialism and religious radicalism," the retired Army general added.
Defense Minister Ryamizard Ryacudu shakes hands with new students at the University of Indonesia at the university's campus in Depok, West Java, on Friday. (Courtesy of the University of Indonesia/file)
He said the government had launched the so-called "smart power" defense strategy to combine a soft power approach, or regional security diplomacy, with hard power, which centers on the strengthening of the military.
The ministry has stepped up efforts to promote the state defense program to a wider audience by teaming up with several government institutions and civil organizations.
The ministry, for example, has signed a cooperation agreement with the Law and Human Rights Ministry, the Culture and Education Ministry, the Social Affairs Ministry, the Communications and Information Ministry and dozens of community groups to encourage all civilians, particularly children, to love the Republic of Indonesia and to be willing to defend national unity.
- Contract to be extended to 2041 as Freeport agrees to divest 51% shares
- Indonesian N219 aircraft succeeds in first test flight
- Soekarno-Hatta airport’s skytrain begins trial operation
- Put on some weight, says politician to Jokowi in prayer
- Jokowi declares graft war in front House members, Setya
- Studio Ghibli goes into full production for new Hayao Miyazaki film
- Jokowi wears traditional attire during annual state of the nation address
- EDITORIAL: Forever young Indonesia
- What not to do in North Korea
- Jokowi maintains merciless stance on drug dealers