Police proceed with charges against comedian over apartment complaints
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Police have completed a case dossier on a standup comedian who complained about Green Pramuka City apartments in Cempaka Putih and will submit the file to the Central Jakarta Prosecutor's Office on Monday.
The charges against Muhadkly, popularly known as Acho, 31, have sparked concern among right groups and apartment residents, who say his complaints represent their voices.
“The suspect is at the Jakarta Police headquarters and the case will be handed over to prosecutors,” Jakarta Police spokesperson Sr. Comr. Argo Yuwono told The Jakarta Post on Monday morning.
Acho has been named a defamation suspect for writing a complaint on his personal blog after he said he had been repeatedly disappointed by the response to his complaints to the management of Green Pramuka City, where he resides.
In the blog entry posted in March 2015, Acho complained about high parking fees at the apartment compound and the lack of deeds residents should have been given after purchasing apartments. He also advised people to be cautious when considering purchasing an apartment there.
Should prosecutors declare the case dossier complete, Acho will stand trial.
Apartment management firm PT Duta Paramindo Sejahtera reported Acho to the police, accusing him of online defamation. Acho was named a criminal suspect in June and was charged under the Electronic Information and Transactions (ITE) Law, which carries a maximum four years' imprisonment.
Members of the public have set up an online petition to urge the developer to drop the case.
- Barack Obama returns to the political arena
- Survey finds Jakarta among world’s worst for women
- Marinda airport in Raja Ampat set to become international airport
- More drug dealers to be shot dead: BNN chief
- Across Asia, liver cancer is linked to herbal remedies: Study
- Airline, bank reach for the sky with e-money
- EDITORIAL: Jokowi grows on the job
- Preventing osteoporosis: How to boost bone health
- North Jakarta group cancels Alexis Hotel protest
- Philippines to reject EU aid: Duterte