Police proceed with charges against comedian over apartment complaints
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Police have completed a case dossier on a standup comedian who complained about Green Pramuka City apartments in Cempaka Putih and will submit the file to the Central Jakarta Prosecutor's Office on Monday.
The charges against Muhadkly, popularly known as Acho, 31, have sparked concern among right groups and apartment residents, who say his complaints represent their voices.
“The suspect is at the Jakarta Police headquarters and the case will be handed over to prosecutors,” Jakarta Police spokesperson Sr. Comr. Argo Yuwono told The Jakarta Post on Monday morning.
Acho has been named a defamation suspect for writing a complaint on his personal blog after he said he had been repeatedly disappointed by the response to his complaints to the management of Green Pramuka City, where he resides.
In the blog entry posted in March 2015, Acho complained about high parking fees at the apartment compound and the lack of deeds residents should have been given after purchasing apartments. He also advised people to be cautious when considering purchasing an apartment there.
Should prosecutors declare the case dossier complete, Acho will stand trial.
Apartment management firm PT Duta Paramindo Sejahtera reported Acho to the police, accusing him of online defamation. Acho was named a criminal suspect in June and was charged under the Electronic Information and Transactions (ITE) Law, which carries a maximum four years' imprisonment.
Members of the public have set up an online petition to urge the developer to drop the case.
- Joey Alexander’s new music video showcases the beauty of Bali
- Indonesia sees 7 brutal animal killings in 2018
- Shell eyeing Indonesia's LNG market
- UK's official Brexit campaign fined, referred to police
- A world without America
- Beijing's new airport comes with new construction tech
- Indonesia to invite Kim Jong-un, Moon Jae-in to attend Asiad
- A guide to understanding the Freeport divestment deal
- Under fire, Trump says he misspoke on Russia election meddling
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world