Police to participate in monitoring of village fund use
The Jakarta Post
The Villages, Disadvantaged Regions and Transmigration Ministry is set to sign a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the National Police (Polri) on the monitoring and use of village funds. The step is part of the preventive efforts being made to curtail the the misuse of the funds.
“The MoU between the ministry and Polri aims to ensure that the village funds are used properly and are well targeted. That’s why there should be assistance and monitoring efforts,” Polri spokesperson Insp.Gen. Setyo Wasisto said as quoted by kompas.com in Jakarta on Monday.
Setyo said, however, that the cooperation was not related to the recent village fund embezzlement case that occurred in a village in Pamekasan regency, East Java. “It’s not related to the Corruption Eradication Commission’s [KPK] sting operation recently. The most important thing is that village funds and state budgets are protected,” he said.
The police have not yet determined the exact date for the signing of the MoU.
“Since we [the police] do not have the authority to carry out audits, we will only be involved in monitoring activities and in supporting village heads to carry out their programs. For example, if they plan to build a road, we'll check how long the road will be and whether the specification of the materials is in line with the budget allocation,” Setyo said.
Early calculations show that at least 74,000 Babinkamtibnas personnel — police officers assigned to villages as advisors on security and public order — need to be deployed for the monitoring program in all villages across the country. (foy/ebf)
- Obama dancing in Kenya sends world aflutter
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India
- Malaysia issues arrest warrants for ex-1MDB executives
- Thailand's cave boys wake up at home for first time in weeks
- Indonesia sees 7 brutal animal killings in 2018
- Rapes and beatings: The torments of South Korea's young athletes
- Joey Alexander’s new music video showcases the beauty of Bali
- Russian 'agent' held on charges of seeking to infiltrate US govt
- BMKG warns of high waves around Lombok
- China seizes 156 mammoth tusks in huge ivory haul