Ministers tight-lipped on Freeport meeting
The Jakarta Post
Finance Minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati and Energy and Mineral Resources Minister Ignasius Jonan met on Thursday to discuss ongoing negotiations between the government and Freeport Indonesia, however no further information about the meeting was disclosed.
The government and Freeport have been discussing a number of issues related to the conversion of Freeport’s contract of work to a special mining license.
The Finance Ministry’s fiscal policy head, Suahasil Nazara, refused to provide information after exiting the meeting.
While rushing to his car, the energy ministry's mineral and coal director general, Bambang Gatot Ariyono said, “Nothing new came up during the meeting.”Read also: Freeport yet to extend operating permit: Ministry
Earlier in the day, Suahasil said four issues were to be discussed with Freeport; operational continuity, smelter development, state revenue and divestment. The issues have been discussed for months between representatives of the government and the copper and gold miner in Papau.
During his visit to the United States in late July, Jonan said Freeport McMoRan CEO Richard Adkerson had requested a meeting with Sri Mulyani to discuss investment certainty in the country. (dea/mrc/bbn)
- Three former presidents join Jokowi to celebrate Independence Day
- Jokowi praises Jakarta for Semanggi interchange
- SEA Games: Indonesia beats Philippines 3-0
- Dangdut singer partners with Tourism Ministry to launch new cake brand
- UGM tops RI university ranking
- Jokowi inaugurates new Semanggi overpass on Independence Day
- SBY attends ceremony at State Palace
- Ten-year-old India rape victim gives birth to baby girl
- China gets tough on long, odd company names
- Eleven teens suspected in prostitution ring