Supreme Court gives reclamation project green light
The Jakarta Post
Publicly listed property giant PT Agung Podomoro Land (APL) may breathe a sigh of relief after the Supreme Court allowed the company to continue with construction work on Islet G, one of 17 islets to be created in the Jakarta Bay.
With its decision on Saturday the Supreme Court rejected an appeal by the Indonesian Forum for the Environment (WALHI) and the People’s Coalition for Fisheries Justice Indonesia (Kiara).
The decision reaffirmed a decision by the Jakarta Administrative Court that had rejected the two plaintiffs’ appeal against the Jakarta Government, which had issued a permit for the island construction, as the defendant in the dispute.
APL subsidiary PT Muara Wisesa is in charge of building the 161-hectare islet. According to APL’s financial statement released in June, the company’s asset in the islet are worth Rp 2.54 trillion.Read also: Anies told to continue reclamation project
The statement also explains that the company had talked to legal consultants and considered that it had suffered no material losses apart from the delay on the islet’s construction.
Nevertheless, APL refrained from commenting on the verdict. “You may ask the policymakers [the Jakarta administration]. We as developers only follow them,” said APL head of investor relations Wibisono, as quoted by kontan.co.id.
Meanwhile, Investa Saran Mandiri director Hans Kwee said certainty on the islet’s development would help improve the company’s prospects as well as its stock price. [dea/bbn]
- Moon, Kim get peace award from Indonesian community
- Only 2% of ads show women as leaders: Study
- Here comes Bui Squad: Palu inmates help earthquake, tsunami survivors
- Nudist beach surfer punches shark to escape attack
- Saudi Arabia deployed Twitter army against critics: NY Times
- Dark side of K-pop: The East Light leader claims years of abuse
- Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja stuns 'American Idol' judges
- North Korea's box of bones: A mythical king and the dream of Korean unification
- Gay couple arrested in Bandung as anti-LGBT wave grips W. Java
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world