Jokowi inaugurates new Semanggi overpass on Independence Day
The Jakarta Post
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo is expected to join Jakarta Governor Djarot Syaiful Hidayat to inaugurate the new Simpang Susun Semanggi (Semanggi Interchange) in South Jakarta.
A statement from the City Hall issued Thursday said that Djarot would lead the event that evening starting at 7 p.m.
Head of the City Transportation Agency Andri Yansyah said that the Semanggi Interchange was ready for operation as workers had completed installing crucial road signs that would help motorists navigate the newly built overpass.
"The contractors [for the project] have met their obligations. Everything was completed yesterday [Wednesday]," Andri told reporters on Thursday.
The city finished construction on the Rp369 billion (US$27.7 million) project on April 25 and decided that it was ready for a trial run on July 29.
The city administration has decided to bar motorcyclists from using the new overpass, fearing that they might take selfies and endanger their own lives.
The city started construction on the overpass, which was aimed at reducing traffic congestion in Semanggi by 30 percent, in April 2016. Its target of completion was moved from October 2017 to Aug. 17 this year.
- UK's official Brexit campaign fined, referred to police
- Indonesia sees 7 brutal animal killings in 2018
- Shell eyeing Indonesia's LNG market
- Government oversells PT Freeport Indonesia agreement
- Local residents slaughter 292 crocodiles in Sorong farm
- A guide to understanding the Freeport divestment deal
- Indonesia among world’s less stressed countries
- A world without America
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Beijing's new airport comes with new construction tech