Jokowi inaugurates new Semanggi overpass on Independence Day
The Jakarta Post
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo is expected to join Jakarta Governor Djarot Syaiful Hidayat to inaugurate the new Simpang Susun Semanggi (Semanggi Interchange) in South Jakarta.
A statement from the City Hall issued Thursday said that Djarot would lead the event that evening starting at 7 p.m.
Head of the City Transportation Agency Andri Yansyah said that the Semanggi Interchange was ready for operation as workers had completed installing crucial road signs that would help motorists navigate the newly built overpass.
"The contractors [for the project] have met their obligations. Everything was completed yesterday [Wednesday]," Andri told reporters on Thursday.
The city finished construction on the Rp369 billion (US$27.7 million) project on April 25 and decided that it was ready for a trial run on July 29.
The city administration has decided to bar motorcyclists from using the new overpass, fearing that they might take selfies and endanger their own lives.
The city started construction on the overpass, which was aimed at reducing traffic congestion in Semanggi by 30 percent, in April 2016. Its target of completion was moved from October 2017 to Aug. 17 this year.
- Airport trains no longer have single fare
- Satpol PP officer dies after being hit by airport train
- Europe brings on charm and blue skies to lure Chinese tourists
- French founder strives to elevate Indonesian brand at Maison&Objet
- Twitter says Russia-linked accounts more widespread
- Electronic parking meters on Jl Sabang to be reactivated
- Tom Petty died of accidental overdose: family
- Bekasi Police arrest alleged sexual abuser after three-month pursuit
- Facebook to let users rank 'trust' in news sources
- Average British dinner lasts 21 minutes: survey