Jokowi inaugurates new Semanggi overpass on Independence Day
The Jakarta Post
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo is expected to join Jakarta Governor Djarot Syaiful Hidayat to inaugurate the new Simpang Susun Semanggi (Semanggi Interchange) in South Jakarta.
A statement from the City Hall issued Thursday said that Djarot would lead the event that evening starting at 7 p.m.
Head of the City Transportation Agency Andri Yansyah said that the Semanggi Interchange was ready for operation as workers had completed installing crucial road signs that would help motorists navigate the newly built overpass.
"The contractors [for the project] have met their obligations. Everything was completed yesterday [Wednesday]," Andri told reporters on Thursday.
The city finished construction on the Rp369 billion (US$27.7 million) project on April 25 and decided that it was ready for a trial run on July 29.
The city administration has decided to bar motorcyclists from using the new overpass, fearing that they might take selfies and endanger their own lives.
The city started construction on the overpass, which was aimed at reducing traffic congestion in Semanggi by 30 percent, in April 2016. Its target of completion was moved from October 2017 to Aug. 17 this year.
- EDITORIAL: Politics in Pertamina shakeup
- Danareksa eyes Rp 500 billion AUM from new ETF product
- Education ministry cancels anti-LGBT event
- Child beggar coordinators arrested in Depok
- Man dies of exhaustion on South Jakarta road
- Big secrets, bumper box-office for 'Avengers: Infinity War'
- Don't panic, minister says as rupiah weakens
- Chiang Mai woman’s tattoo is ‘practical magic’
- Setya Novanto e-ID graft case timeline
- Maria Simorangkir crowned Indonesian Idol 2018