Jokowi inaugurates new Semanggi overpass on Independence Day
The Jakarta Post
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo is expected to join Jakarta Governor Djarot Syaiful Hidayat to inaugurate the new Simpang Susun Semanggi (Semanggi Interchange) in South Jakarta.
A statement from the City Hall issued Thursday said that Djarot would lead the event that evening starting at 7 p.m.
Head of the City Transportation Agency Andri Yansyah said that the Semanggi Interchange was ready for operation as workers had completed installing crucial road signs that would help motorists navigate the newly built overpass.
"The contractors [for the project] have met their obligations. Everything was completed yesterday [Wednesday]," Andri told reporters on Thursday.
The city finished construction on the Rp369 billion (US$27.7 million) project on April 25 and decided that it was ready for a trial run on July 29.
The city administration has decided to bar motorcyclists from using the new overpass, fearing that they might take selfies and endanger their own lives.
The city started construction on the overpass, which was aimed at reducing traffic congestion in Semanggi by 30 percent, in April 2016. Its target of completion was moved from October 2017 to Aug. 17 this year.
- Japan to offer e-visa to tourists starting April 2020
- Meikarta graft case: KPK searches residence of Lippo Group CEO James Riady
- West Jakarta early childhood school dismantled in front of students
- Arsonist sentenced to 24 years for Texas mosque burning
- Indonesia attracts buyers at Hamburg COTECA trade expo
- Saudi Arabia's foreign minister to visit Indonesia
- In China's Catholic heartland, Vatican deal brings Communist Party closer
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Latest list of Michelin stars in Seoul released
- The other side of Korea: Art, food and history