ICW accuses House inquiry committee of fabricating news
The Jakarta Post
It is suspected that politicians on a House of Representatives inquiry committee intentionally spread misinformation about the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK), Indonesia Corruption Watch (ICW) has said.
“Within 56 working days since its establishment in May, some of the inquiry committee’s members worked to spread hoaxes,” ICW activist Donal Fariz said as quoted by tempo.co in a press conference in Jakarta on Sunday.
ICW claims the committee spread at least 10 hoaxes, one of which was that the KPK had a lock up facility. “Actually, it is a safe house,” said Donal.
The organization also claimed that the committee said KPK investigators had used a private jet during an investigation into possible bribery at the Constitutional Court, and that senior KPK investigator Novel Baswedan had witnessed a suspected swallow’s nest thief being given electric shocks but did not intervene.
The House also accused the KPK of intimidating graft suspect Miryam S.Haryani during questioning, Donal said.
He said the House had claimed that suspected graft in the e-ID card procurement case was a story fabricated by the KPK and that the anti-graft body often misused the media to form public opinion.
Donal also said the committee had accused NGOs of accepting funds from the KPK and that the commission accepted instructions to engineer cases.
The House was also accused of claiming that instead of taking medication to treat wounds sustained in an acid attack, Novel merely went to Singapore for leisure.
“They produced hoaxes, false news,” said Donal. (yon/ebf)
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Insight: New development pathway for Indonesia
- Flights not yet affected by Mt. Anak Krakatau eruption, authorities say
- Journalist murdered in Mexico, ninth of 2018
- Instagram co-founders step down from company: NYT
- China says can't hold US trade talks with 'knife to the throat'
- Huawei gives free power banks to people queuing for new iPhone
- Nike-Kaepernick: A marriage of ideals?