KPK arrests Tegal mayor Siti Masitha
The Jakarta Post
Investigators from the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) arrested on Tuesday Siti Masitha Soeparno, the mayor of Tegal in Cental Java on allegation of corruption.
KPK chairman Agus Rahardjo has confirmed about the anti-graft body's operation in Central Java, but he declined to give details regarding the arrest.
"The arrest took place in Central Java. Let's wait [for the details to be revealed in] a press conference," Agus said on Tuesday evening, as quoted by kompas.com.
Siti was believed to be arrested while chairing a meeting at the city hall of Tegal.
KPK is planning to announce her arrest on Wednesday.
Central Java Governor Ganjar Pranowo also confirmed that Siti had been apprehended by the KPK on Thursday.
"I have given warnings that their places are not beyond reach. They are constantly monitored," Ganjar said as quoted by tempo.co.
Siti is not the first mayor of Tegal to face an investigation by the anti-graft body. Her predecessor, Ikmal Jaya was sent to prison in 2015 for corruption surrounding a botched land procurement case.
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- Pence says US to partner in Papua New Guinea military base
- US politician stands to win election by one vote
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Sexual harassment victim ordered to start prison sentence next week
- Number of missing in California fire soars past 1,000 as Trump set to visit
- From Chanel to Gucci: Korean women turn into designer rent-a-holics
- After Gabo book purge, Kuwait bans Dostoyevsky
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know