Tjahjo wants Kalla in charge of Jokowi's reelection bid
The Jakarta Post
A senior Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) politician has proposed Vice President Jusuf Kalla to serve as campaign team chairman for President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo's reelection bid in the 2019 general election.
Tjahjo Kumolo, who is also Home Minister in Jokowi's administration said that if Kalla decided not to join the 2019 race as Jokowi's running mate, he would be best-suited for the position.
"This is my personal opinion and this does not mean that we have shut the door for his [Kalla's] candidacy," Tjahjo said as quoted by kompas,com.
Tjahjo added that political parties in the ruling coalition had already prepared their candidates to run as Jokowi's running mate in the next presidential election.
"But if Pak Kalla wished to run again as the President's running mate, then parties in the coalition should talk about it again," Tjahjo said.
Many have speculated that Kalla, who would turn 77 in 2019, would not join Jokowi's ticket in the 2019 presidential election.
Last week, Kalla had to hold a press conference to dispel rumors circulating on social media that he had to be rushed to a Singaporean hospital for ill health.
- Yogyakarta Indonesian Association Amusement Parks and Recreation meets with GenPI Yogyakarta
- Nine airports prepared in anticipation of Mt. Agung eruption
- ASEAN endorses East Sea code proposal
- Mt. Agung's magma moves upward
- Mt. Agung eruption could be imminent: Agency
- Two Vietnamese fishermen dead in Philippine navy chase
- Jokowi to visit Mt. Agung evacuees
- 39 countries to attend Asia-Europe transportation minister meeting
- Nearly 50,000 flee amid fears of Mt. Agung eruption
- EDITORIAL: Making corrupt leaders pay