Tjahjo wants Kalla in charge of Jokowi's reelection bid
The Jakarta Post
A senior Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) politician has proposed Vice President Jusuf Kalla to serve as campaign team chairman for President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo's reelection bid in the 2019 general election.
Tjahjo Kumolo, who is also Home Minister in Jokowi's administration said that if Kalla decided not to join the 2019 race as Jokowi's running mate, he would be best-suited for the position.
"This is my personal opinion and this does not mean that we have shut the door for his [Kalla's] candidacy," Tjahjo said as quoted by kompas,com.
Tjahjo added that political parties in the ruling coalition had already prepared their candidates to run as Jokowi's running mate in the next presidential election.
"But if Pak Kalla wished to run again as the President's running mate, then parties in the coalition should talk about it again," Tjahjo said.
Many have speculated that Kalla, who would turn 77 in 2019, would not join Jokowi's ticket in the 2019 presidential election.
Last week, Kalla had to hold a press conference to dispel rumors circulating on social media that he had to be rushed to a Singaporean hospital for ill health.
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- Tourism's fatal warning
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia lists 180 missing on doomed ferry, launches underwater search
- 8-meter python slain after swallowing woman in Southeast Sulawesi
- Search on for dozens missing in Indonesia ferry sinking
- Indonesia takes a bite out of food waste one wedding at a time
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- Taliban kill 30 soldiers in first major attack since ceasefire, governor says
- Commentary: Another side of the elderly: You reap what you sow