Setya files pretrial motion against suspect status
The Jakarta Post
House of Representatives Speaker Setya Novanto filed a pretrial hearing request on Monday with the South Jakarta District Court to challenge the decision by the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) to name him a graft suspect.
Setya, who is also chairman of the Golkar Party, was named a suspect in the e-ID project in May.
“Yes it is true. He [Setya] has filed a pretrial motion today [Monday],” South Jakarta District Court public information official Made Sutrisna said as quoted by kompas.com in Jakarta.
Made stated that Setya had appointed Chepy Iskandar as the only lawyer who would represent him in the case.
The KPK alleged that Setya played a major role in the corruption revolving around the e-ID case, which reportedly caused Rp 2.3 trillion (Rp 172.5 million) in state losses.
He denied his alleged involvement in the e-ID graft case by repeatedly saying “I am not guilty”. (msa/ebf)
- Yogyakarta Indonesian Association Amusement Parks and Recreation meets with GenPI Yogyakarta
- Nine airports prepared in anticipation of Mt. Agung eruption
- ASEAN endorses East Sea code proposal
- Mt. Agung's magma moves upward
- Mt. Agung eruption could be imminent: Agency
- Two Vietnamese fishermen dead in Philippine navy chase
- Jokowi to visit Mt. Agung evacuees
- 39 countries to attend Asia-Europe transportation minister meeting
- Nearly 50,000 flee amid fears of Mt. Agung eruption
- EDITORIAL: Making corrupt leaders pay