Setya files pretrial motion against suspect status
The Jakarta Post
House of Representatives Speaker Setya Novanto filed a pretrial hearing request on Monday with the South Jakarta District Court to challenge the decision by the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) to name him a graft suspect.
Setya, who is also chairman of the Golkar Party, was named a suspect in the e-ID project in May.
“Yes it is true. He [Setya] has filed a pretrial motion today [Monday],” South Jakarta District Court public information official Made Sutrisna said as quoted by kompas.com in Jakarta.
Made stated that Setya had appointed Chepy Iskandar as the only lawyer who would represent him in the case.
The KPK alleged that Setya played a major role in the corruption revolving around the e-ID case, which reportedly caused Rp 2.3 trillion (Rp 172.5 million) in state losses.
He denied his alleged involvement in the e-ID graft case by repeatedly saying “I am not guilty”. (msa/ebf)
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- Tourism's fatal warning
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia lists 180 missing on doomed ferry, launches underwater search
- 8-meter python slain after swallowing woman in Southeast Sulawesi
- Search on for dozens missing in Indonesia ferry sinking
- Indonesia takes a bite out of food waste one wedding at a time
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- Taliban kill 30 soldiers in first major attack since ceasefire, governor says
- Commentary: Another side of the elderly: You reap what you sow