Setya files pretrial motion against suspect status
The Jakarta Post
House of Representatives Speaker Setya Novanto filed a pretrial hearing request on Monday with the South Jakarta District Court to challenge the decision by the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) to name him a graft suspect.
Setya, who is also chairman of the Golkar Party, was named a suspect in the e-ID project in May.
“Yes it is true. He [Setya] has filed a pretrial motion today [Monday],” South Jakarta District Court public information official Made Sutrisna said as quoted by kompas.com in Jakarta.
Made stated that Setya had appointed Chepy Iskandar as the only lawyer who would represent him in the case.
The KPK alleged that Setya played a major role in the corruption revolving around the e-ID case, which reportedly caused Rp 2.3 trillion (Rp 172.5 million) in state losses.
He denied his alleged involvement in the e-ID graft case by repeatedly saying “I am not guilty”. (msa/ebf)
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- Govt looks to private employees to fill public jobs after 90 percent of applican...
- 'Moral panic' targets Indonesia's LGBT community
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- From Chanel to Gucci: Korean women turn into designer rent-a-holics
- Okky Madasari unearths hidden tales of Indonesia in 'Mata' series
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world