Pieces of Berlin Wall arrive at Kalijodo
The Jakarta Post
Four pieces of the Berlin Wall to be used for an art installation entitled Patung Menembus Batas (a sculpture that breaks down barriers), arrived at Kalijodo park in North Jakarta on Tuesday morning.
The wall pieces, which recently received media attention when they were donated to the Jakarta administration, were taken from Depok, West Java, to the park with four large flat trucks.
While previously the artwork was scheduled to be installed on Friday, artist Teguh Ostenrik, who donated the pieces to the administration, said the artwork would be installed earlier than scheduled.
The project should begin soon because the Jakarta administration was set to inaugurate the installation on Oct. 3, he said.
“There may not be enough time if we start installing the pieces on Sept. 29.
Therefore, we are starting it now,” Teguh said on Tuesday as quoted by tribunnews.com.
A worker on the installation, Yustinus Indrawan, said the artwork would be completed with attractive lighting.
“We will arrange the lighting on the next day,” Yustinus said.
Teguh said earlier that the artwork was intended to remind residents about the importance of maintaining unity despite differences.
The artwork will include the four pieces of the Berlin Wall surrounded by thirteen human statues made of iron.
The human statues will be made of iron because it symbolizes the human spirit - as hard as steel but still able to break down the walls that arise from our differences and separate people from each other. (cal)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- No nutrients lost in rendang despite long cooking period, research says
- Bali authority denies report on JE viral infection outbreak
- Basarnas ends search for Lion Air crash victims
- Anti-LGBT sentiment rises ahead of elections
- Singapore Airlines to move to Soekarno-Hatta airport Terminal 3
- Lion Air crash: 'I’m sure dad could swim his way out and survive the crash'
- When Jokowi’s ‘other women’ let their hair down
- Indonesia to free Bali Nine drug smuggler Lawrence: Official