Pre-trial win bolsters Setya’s supporters
Nurul Fitri Ramadhani and Margareth Aritonang
The Jakarta Post
Loyalists of Golkar Party chairman Setya Novanto have indicated they would fight against any moves to unseat their leader after a Jakarta district court ruled that his naming as a graft suspect by the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) was illegal.
Calls for Setya’s resignation mounted days before the court’s ruling on Friday. Factions opposed to Setya’s leadership within Golkar argued that his legal problem had taken a toll on the party’s electability, saying Setya had to resign to save the party.
Party secretary-general Idrus Marham, a close ally of Setya, said that the party respected its members’ aspirations but that there was no need for the party to replace Setya as he had won a pre-trial lawsuit against the KPK.
"What is the urgency for the party [to appoint an acting chairman]? The party has no problem now after Setya won the pretrial motion,” Idrus said at the party headquarters.
The Golkar executive board was supposed to hold a plenary meeting on Monday to hear Setya's response to a recommendation made by a special team within the party that Setya be suspended from his position to focus on his legal problems and health issues.
Golkar deputy secretary-general Ace Hasan Syadzily said it was now unclear if the executive board would hold the plenary meeting as scheduled.
Setya has been accused of playing a key role in the high-profile e-ID graft case, which has also implicated other former and active members of the House of Representatives. (ary)
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Indonesia to free Bali Nine drug smuggler Lawrence: Official
- Government to issue new regulation on coal permits
- Garuda to reopen Jakarta-London route
- JT610 victim's bride takes wedding photo shoot without groom
- Bali authority denies report on JE viral infection outbreak
- Associate of close Trump adviser expects to be indicted by Mueller
- Garuda Indonesia records best OTP in Asia Pacific