Jakarta councilors want transportation allowance equal to luxurious car rental rate
Ivany Atina Arbi
The Jakarta Post
City councilors are under the spotlight for proposing a Rp 21.5 million (US$1,592) monthly transport allowance equal to the cost of renting a luxurious car.
The Center for Budget Analysis (CBA) director Uchok Sky Khadafi said on Friday that the transport allowance was extremely high.
“The transport allowance should be performance-based. It could be based on their attendance to either plenary or commission meetings, for example,” Uchok told The Jakarta Post on Friday.
“If each member needs to set aside a transportation budget of Rp 50,000 to attend a meeting, the transport allowance will not exceed Rp 5 million per month,” he added.
City budget committee member Ruslan Amsari previously admitted that the proposed Rp 21.5 million transport allowance per city councilor was calculated based on the monthly rental rate for a 2400-cc car.
Currently, there are 101 members in the Jakarta City Council. The city administration has provided them with official cars since 2015.
However, the council members will give back their official cars in return for the transportation allowance. The bylaw on councilors’ allowance, which also regulates about councilors’ transportation allowance, was passed last month.
- Surakarta's 100-year-old palace wall collapses
- Jokowi inaugurates new Cabinet ministers
- EDITORIAL: Speak out Mr. Speaker
- Samsung launches Galaxy A8, A8+ for millennials
- Bitcoin sinks below $10,000 to bring monthlong rout to 50%
- New Air Force chief to prioritize procurement of jet fighters
- Sandiaga admits allowing ‘becak’ a political contract
- AirAsia to move international flight operations to Soekarno-Hatta Terminal 3
- Seven interesting facts about Maritime Museum in Jakarta
- Dukuh Atas TOD groundbreaking set for Jan 30