Jokowi kicks off oil palm tree replanting program
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo visited on Friday an oil palm plantation in Musi Banyuasin regency, South Sumatra to kick off the replanting of oil palm trees.
“In Musi Banyuasin, we will replant oil palm trees on 4,400 hectares as the existing trees are too old,” said Jokowi, who marked the start of the replanting program by planting a young oil palm tree.
The government will distribute young oil palm trees to the growers together with corn seeds to be planted as side crops at the oil palm plantation, he added.
Jokowi told oil palm tree growers that the government was preparing land certificates for forest land that had been converted to oil palm plantations by locals. “We will certify the land, especially those owned by [local] people,” Jokowi added.Read also: 4,000 hectares of palm oil in Jambi to undergo re-plantation program
As the world’s biggest exporter of palm oil, Indonesia produced 35 million tons of palm oil last year, around 55 percent of global production. The country plans to increase production to 42 million tons by 2020 to maintain its global lead.
The replanting program will be implemented in North Sumatra, Jambi and Riau this year, and then Kalimantan next year, Jokowi added.
He said the newly planted oil palm trees would produce 8 tons of palm oil per hectare, more than the 20-year-old trees that produced 2 tons per ha. (bbn)
- Some countries buying Russian gear deserve sanctions waivers: Mattis
- Trump targeted by G-20 as leaders push back on combative tweets
- Student allegedly paralyzed after being told to do 120 jump squats as punishment
- Thousands protest Australia's refugee detention policy
- Supreme Court to decide on UK-Scotland Brexit standoff
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games
- Jakpost guide to Pasar Modern Bintaro
- Jambi girl imprisoned for abortion after being raped by brother
- This is why you’re sweating during sleep
- One dead, suspect surrenders after US supermarket hostage drama