Inaugurations carried out under tight security in Papua
Nethy Dharma Somba
The Jakarta Post
As many as 500 joint security personnel stood guard during the inauguration of Tolikara Regent Usman Genongg Wanimbo and his deputy Dinus Wanimbo by Papua Governor Lukas Enembe at the governor’s office on Monday.
The governor also inaugurated Yapen Islands Regent Toni Tesar and his deputy Frans Sanadi.
The joint personnel from the police and Army were deployed to secure the inauguration, Jayapura Police chief Adj. Sr. Cmr. Tober Sirait said.
The security personnel were assigned to locations where people were expected to gather, such as Imbi Park in Jayapura and the governor’s office.
Those attending the inauguration were required to show their invitation and go through security screenings.
“We didn't want any clashes during the inauguration,” Tober said on Monday.
Governor Lukas, who represented the home minister, said the elected leaders must represent all residents.
“Embrace all people” he said in his speech.
Lukas also urged Tolikara and Yapen residents to unite. (rin)
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- Govt looks to private employees to fill public jobs after 90 percent of applican...
- 'Moral panic' targets Indonesia's LGBT community
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- From Chanel to Gucci: Korean women turn into designer rent-a-holics
- Okky Madasari unearths hidden tales of Indonesia in 'Mata' series
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world