Inaugurations carried out under tight security in Papua
Nethy Dharma Somba
The Jakarta Post
As many as 500 joint security personnel stood guard during the inauguration of Tolikara Regent Usman Genongg Wanimbo and his deputy Dinus Wanimbo by Papua Governor Lukas Enembe at the governor’s office on Monday.
The governor also inaugurated Yapen Islands Regent Toni Tesar and his deputy Frans Sanadi.
The joint personnel from the police and Army were deployed to secure the inauguration, Jayapura Police chief Adj. Sr. Cmr. Tober Sirait said.
The security personnel were assigned to locations where people were expected to gather, such as Imbi Park in Jayapura and the governor’s office.
Those attending the inauguration were required to show their invitation and go through security screenings.
“We didn't want any clashes during the inauguration,” Tober said on Monday.
Governor Lukas, who represented the home minister, said the elected leaders must represent all residents.
“Embrace all people” he said in his speech.
Lukas also urged Tolikara and Yapen residents to unite. (rin)
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium
- Saudi woman's case against father stirs 'guardianship' debate
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Russia warns US it is 'playing with fire' with sanctions
- Land owners unseal 46 schools after promise to hire them as civil servants
- Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang dead at 61: State media
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world