Trump's fortune slides by $600 million on Forbes wealth list
America's richest may be getting richer but President Donald Trump's fortune has slid by $600 million to $3.1 billion, according to a list of 400 billionaires released by Forbes magazine on Tuesday.
Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates topped the list for a 24th consecutive year on a net worth of $89 billion with Amazon's Jeff Bezos, worth $81.5 billion, number two.
But Trump, the first US president to come solely from the private sector, is ranked 248 -- sharing the spot with 27-year-old Snap co-founder and CEO Evan Spiegel, the youngest person on the list.
Forbes attributed Trump's decline to a weakening New York retail and office real estate market, and new information about his assets. The Manhattan tycoon ranked 156 in 2016, the year he was elected to the White House.
Forbes said those on its 36th annual list of the 400 wealthiest Americans have a record-breaking, combined total net worth of $2.7 trillion, up from $2.4 trillion in 2016. Entrance to the exclusive club cost a record breaking $2 billion.
There were 22 newcomers, including Netflix cofounder and CEO Reed Hastings. Twenty-six people dropped off from last year, including US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross.
There were only 50 women on the list. Alice Walton, the daughter of Wal-Mart founder Sam Walton, was the highest ranked at 13. Unlike her brothers, she has focused on curating art rather than working for Wal-Mart.
The biggest gainer in dollar terms was Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg, chalking up a $15.5 billion increase in net worth to retain his number four ranking at $71 billion.
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- Govt looks to private employees to fill public jobs after 90 percent of applican...
- 'Moral panic' targets Indonesia's LGBT community
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- From Chanel to Gucci: Korean women turn into designer rent-a-holics
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Okky Madasari unearths hidden tales of Indonesia in 'Mata' series